Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: A Gomez (and friends) update!

ted22

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Firstly I'd like to apologise for disappearing off the radar for quite some time, just havnt really been on the internet much n had my hands full with axolotls and fish tanks. We've had a tragedy in the gomez family about a month ago little cunningham passed away, he stopped eating for quite some time and then had a mental night of thrashing about, gulping constantly and spasming uncontrollably for 3hrs or so then just silence, all the splashing stopped and he was dead. Iit was soo stressfull to exerience and hope i never have too see another axolotl go through it, to this day it is still a mystery. He lost no weight whatsoever whilst not eating and was as active as ever, it seemed like just a full blown melt down, poor thing.

Anyways since all that things have moved on and as Gomez (gomez is a girl now!) was sulking without his friend so I managed to hunt down Nacho a little green and black spotted wild type male, he's a cute little thing with a really shiny reflective tail. Then a stroke of luck, managed to find a guy in Brighton who wanted to shift his axies so I bought them off him and have ended up with Columbo a leucistic and Igor a beautiful dark brown and black spotty wild type with big golden eyes and a small leg growing out of one of his back legs! They are all living happily in their brand new huge 125gal (150 of ur US gals:wink:) tank I got for my xmas pressie, they are enjoying the space and are getting plenty of exercise swimming about making use of every inch of it!

I dont understand why I read so much about axolotls not being social animals, mine seem to seek each others company if they are ever alone and always want to be touching each other in some way, also Gomez really changed when Cunningham died he got very sulky, it was almost like he missed the company, he perked back up once I got him another buddy!

I think Im gonna try and hunt down another goldie at some point in the future seeing as I have plenty of space for another one (could get more but my hands would be full I just wouldnt know where to start!) cunningham really livened up the place being bright gold and all, it would be nice to get another one, will just have to wait untill funds allow!

Here are the guys....
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14105-columbo.jpg

Columbo!
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14106-igor.jpg

Igor
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14102-nacho.jpg

NACHO!
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14103-gomez-nacho-best-friends.jpg

Gomez and Nacho best of friends
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14099-columbo-sitting-nacho-chip.jpg

Columbo sitting on Nacho-chip
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14100-igor-giving-columbo-cuddle.jpg

Igor and Columbo
ted22-albums-gomez-friends-picture14101-igor-giving-columbo-cuddle.jpg

Ditto
ted22-albums-gomez-cunningham-picture14107-gomez-cunningham-rip.jpg

Gomez and Cunningham (RIP)

Thats pretty much whats happend over the last few months!

Will get some pics of the tank up when the hood and the background turn up, it just looks a little unfinished at the mo.

Hope all of you and you're axolotls are well, shall catch up and reply to these messages I have been sent (sorry I havnt logged on in quite some time).

Take care

Ed
and Gomez and Nacho-chip and Igor and Columbo.

carsona246

Reaction score
Dang 150 gallons, how about a full tank shot? Sorry to hear about cunningham, but glad gomez didn't get sick too

Erzs

Reaction score
Your new (and old ofc!) axolotls are soooo cute! Can't wait to see the full set up bet it looks amazing! And yes get online more my amphibious friend!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1