Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to separate A.mexicanum from other Ambystoma's larvae?

lerdchai

Reaction score
Sorry for ask a very basicly question,I'm new with newt and sal.
I sometime found some Larvae of Ambystoma for sale in my country[Thailand] but nobody known which species of them and someone bought and kept them all life in aquatic,that make everybody believed they are all A.mexicanum,but somebody tried to decrease water level and some larvae transform to adult A.triginum.
So,Pls suggest me to know how to separate Ambystoma larvae?
as the one in pic dealer told, this Axololt kept all in full aquatic.but he did not know its species.

297-20101106191135.jpg

297-20101106191110.jpg

lerdchai

Reaction score
Sorry for ask a very basicly question,I'm new with newt and sal.
I sometime found some Larvae of Ambystoma for sale in my country[Thailand] but nobody known which species of them and someone bought and kept them all life in aquatic,that make everybody believed they are all A.mexicanum,but somebody tried to decrease water level and some larvae transform to adult A.triginum.
So,Pls suggest me to know how to separate Ambystoma larvae?
as the one in pic dealer told, this Axololt kept all in full aquatic.but he did not know its species.

297-20101106191135.jpg

297-20101106191110.jpg

297-20101106191135.jpg

297-20101106191110.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those are axolotls.

Some adult axolotls will spontaneously go through metamorphosis if the conditions are met. It's rare but it happens.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The second one is an axolotl, 100% sure. The first one could be a tiger salamander larva or an axolotl. If the seller is an idiot, they could have mixed the two species together. If more than one or two went into metamorphosis, I would suspect some of them may have been tiger sals. Do you have any photos of the animals after metamorphosis?

lerdchai

Reaction score
I got these pics from dealer's site,and most of them sold as Axolotl not tiger sals's larvar,All larvae always for sale as Axolotl. so I would like to know,how to separate each species in Ambystoma.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It would be rather difficult when they're larvae, especially A. mexicanum and A. tigrinum/mavortium. The tiger salamander larvae tend to have squatter 'sausage' shaped toes, where axolotl toes tend to be longer and slender.

lerdchai

Reaction score
It would be rather difficult when they're larvae, especially A. mexicanum and A. tigrinum/mavortium. The tiger salamander larvae tend to have squatter 'sausage' shaped toes, where axolotl toes tend to be longer and slender.

could u please show some pics,those compare their toes? or let me know links where i can search for their information or pics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!