Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted Leucistic baby, purpled melanoid babies from Margie

NWAxolotl

Reaction score
I am new to axolotl keeping but did my research here and decided to buy from Margie who just happens to be in my home state. It was a great transaction start to finish and I am so happy with my new pets. I intentionally ordered very young axolotls so I could have a go of raising them.

One is a speckled leucistic baby with cute peppering throughout although it is hard to photograph because they are so small. The leucistic is named Valentine and she is mere 1 gram in weight.

Then there is Barry, named for the sheer manly size as well as beautiful purple coloration. If Barry turns out to be a lady, shell be Berry ;) Weighing in at a massive 4 grams, he is a good eater.

Last but not least is George Michael, named for the shy, awkward character from arrested development. He has a less speckled and more even dark purple/ black color. He is shy and tends to hide mostly or lay awkwardly on plants. He is 3 grams.

Can't wait to continue learning along with everyone else here and love to forum so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20140113_124524_741.jpg
    IMG_20140113_124524_741.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_20140112_240025_209.jpg
    IMG_20140112_240025_209.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_20140110_202232_477.jpg
    IMG_20140110_202232_477.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_20140109_224517_691.jpg
    IMG_20140109_224517_691.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 718

Kaini

Reaction score
Aww, what cute little guys (and gals!)
What is that substrate though? I was under the impression that teeny tiny babies shouldn't even be kept on sand because of the risk of swallowing it.
? I could be wrong.

Such cuties!

NWAxolotl

Reaction score
Aww, what cute little guys (and gals!)
What is that substrate though? I was under the impression that teeny tiny babies shouldn't even be kept on sand because of the risk of swallowing it.
? I could be wrong.

Such cuties!

Maybe you're right. I didn't read anywhere that sand was unsafe for babies. They are handfed and I see them spit any sand out. They kind of hop off the sand when they eat, pretty cute.

zombieaddict

Reaction score
Would you please share some pictures of the whole tank? From the ones that you've shown, it looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm totally jealous! Your lotls are adorable too, great photos!

Edit: Also, what are the plants that you have in there? Do you light your tank to keep them growing?

Kaini

Reaction score
Maybe you're right. I didn't read anywhere that sand was unsafe for babies. They are handfed and I see them spit any sand out. They kind of hop off the sand when they eat, pretty cute.

I think I read somewhere on here that sand is unsafe until they're around 5-6 inches? I think, I'm not sure how big yours are. I was reading a thread about a baby lotl with a lot of colored sand in its belly, if I remember right. Again don't quote me on that, maybe someone more knowledgeable will solve this for us xD

That's so cute though :p

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I agree, about 5-6" to be kept on sand. Dont sweat it though I put my two oldest on sand early, but ended up hating sand so I gave it up before I even realised it was bad.

Since their bodies are so tiny and sand gets stuck in their tummies like concrete i guess os the best way to describe it. It is recommended not to have them on sand.
I always just leave my babies in tuperware containers until they are about 5" and then introduce them in the tank, but my tank is also bare bottom because sand is to hard to maintain lol.

inukawaii

Reaction score
The picture Valentine's head poking up from behind the log is killing me. I'm dying of cuteness overload! :p Very cute lotls!!

NWAxolotl

Reaction score
Would you please share some pictures of the whole tank? From the ones that you've shown, it looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm totally jealous! Your lotls are adorable too, great photos!

Edit: Also, what are the plants that you have in there? Do you light your tank to keep them growing?

Hey sorrrrry this response is so late. Yes I have one light on and there are vals, hornwort, some sag and maybe a few others? Here are some photos of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20140119_214912_093.jpg
    IMG_20140119_214912_093.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_20140115_191317_135.jpg
    IMG_20140115_191317_135.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 683

AquaShinx

Reaction score
my axolotl from margie got shipped today and im very excited and nervous because its my first axolotl but yours turned out fine so that puts me at ease

NWAxolotl

Reaction score
my axolotl from margie got shipped today and im very excited and nervous because its my first axolotl but yours turned out fine so that puts me at ease

I had such a great experience with her and no issues at all with my axolotls. They are growing like weeds. What color did you get?

vainglory

Reaction score
Margie's axies are wonderful. Mine have been the cutest things. Very active and healthy. I got a leucistic and a golden.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!