Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Orientalis or pyrrhogaster?

AuSu

Reaction score
Hello after a while!
This spring I had the unwanted situation I put three juveniles (one orientalis, two pyrrhos) in the same little setting to grow. Pyrrhos seemed really weak (I suppose it's because of water temps, they grow in 19-21 celsius and h. orientalis and c. ensicauda under 19 and the youngsters of two latter groups grow stronger & bigger during their water phase, which may also last longer than with pyrrhos) and orientalis was fine. Two of them soon died, which I thought were both japanese. But now I was fixing the setting and while looking the little one, got suspicious. Is it a jap baby anyway? It has a light band on the back spine and I'm wondering did CFB get a back line too, as a youngster? For some reason, I can't recall how they look even I've seen quite many of them during past years ?

Attachments

• 20190324_153808.jpg
    20190324_153808.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 906
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!