Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are axies social creatures or do they prefer to live alone?

Turbosaurus

Reaction score
Do you think axies do better in pairs, or are they just fine alone? I am trying to find homes for some of my axies, and I am not sure if I should be encouraging people to take them in sets? or if they're fine alone? I know some creatures do better with company, how about axies?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Turbosaurus,

Axolotls are actually solitary creatures that get together during breeding season in the wild. They do well alone and do not require company of conspecifics. You can feel safe encouraging people to take individual animals in as pets. However, a lot of people prefer keeping more than one axie, simply because they are irresistable as pets and have a wonderful array of colours to choose from.

Cheers.

Turbosaurus

Reaction score
If I do give away more than one to a single person who will house them in a single large tank- do you think it makes a difference/more or less chance for aggression if there are two males or two females or one of each?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Axolotls can live long and healthy lives alone, although even in the largest tank will seek each other out and lie next to each other. There is not a problem with aggression as they are not territorial and do not battle for females, etc. A bigger concern would be giving people a brother-sister pair because if kept together, these will certainly at some point breed, and let's face it, axolotls do not have much genetic information to start with and even what they do have is not exactly "fresh".

-Eva

pete

Reaction score
Everything said is correct, but I just wanted to add that aggression problems can arise if you keep two axolotls together that have a great size difference between them. The smaller one may begin to look a bit edible to the larger one.

Joy76

Reaction score
Hi just reading about axolotls only come together in breeding season. Is there a reliable source or link to confirm this thanks

Justjay

Reaction score
I'd question it only because they seek one another out when in large aquariums, however they are capable of thriving alone. I would consider them social animals from this alone. I prefer larger aquariums as they are the main species in their natural habitat and still congregate throughout their life.

It's also possible that breed readily and this is observed in the home studies because of the sheer size difference of their natural habitat.

2 rabbits in the wild breed in the spring, 2 rabbits in a cage bed in a week

landonewts

Reaction score
Interested in this topic, especially as I’m about to introduce a new male wildtype Axolotl to my existing leucistic male, who I raised from a baby. I have read here that axolotls aren’t social, but I have also read posts that suggest they are. And I tend to agree.

My first axie seems to enjoy my company and watches me with interest, and seems a bit bored when I’m not directly interacting with him or moving around the room. If nothing else, the new tank mate will give him something to interact with. I can easily feed them separately. I grow my own earthworms and also have pellets, so have plenty of food.

I’m preparing a new 40 gallon tank habitat with lots of plants and hides, and will introduce them to it and each other at the same time. The new axie is about 7”, my older one is about 9”, so hopefully the size difference isn’t too great. I have a spare cycled 10 gallon tank at the ready in case I have to temporarily separate them. Hopefully nothing more than a few exploratory nips here and there, but even that will be unsettling!

Anyway, loving the wealth of information on this site. It’s been a huge help in setting up and maintaining this new (to me) species.

Kitan

Reaction score
Hey Lando! Nice size tank for two Axies :) I am very, very new but since there is no way a 7“ 'lotl is fitting in the mouth of a 9“, I' d be surprised if it was an issue in that size tank with multiple hides and sufficient food. Experienced people correct me if I'm wrong here. The one potential issue I do see is I have read wilds tend to be more aggressive and territorial than the other morphs, so I would make sure your 10 gal is cycled and temp ready for an emergency transfer juuust in case. Good luck!

landonewts

Reaction score
You may have seen in another post, but I did the merge, and the two axolotls are in the same tank and doing well! They both seem happier. Only problem is at feeding time, as I have a hard time separating them! But it’s going really well, and I’m breathing easier now that the process is complete and they seem happy.

AxolotlFarm

Reaction score
We bought two axolotl from different breeders and placed them in the same tank with a divider until they were large enough to be together. There was a time when they almost seemed fearful of one another however, they definitely seemed to like each other. Aside from the fact that one wound up be female and the other male... resulting in eggs. They are now divided again but still seem to linger close to each other through the screen. Again, I don't know if they actually like each other or if they just want to breed, but I'd like to think that they want to be together. Technically, they'll be fine as individuals though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!