Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neurergus strauchii baranii (Baran's Spotted Newt)

TJ

Reaction score
19664.jpg

(they belong to a friend, not me
wink.gif
)

(Message edited by tj on August 01, 2004)

J

jennifer

How is the keeper keeping the adults? Could you pick his/her brain for information on breeding conditions for us?

TJ

Reaction score
Jen, all he has are the CB juvies and I don't think he's bred them himself. They're fed mostly waxworms (or honey worms as they're called here).

S

sergé

They were probably bred in Germany as a few years ago many adults were (illegally) imported by some people. They were sold on meetings. So there origin is probably a german breeder and some articles on breeding have been published in german magazines.

J

jennifer

That's the problem! Most of the information is printed in German, which is not available or understandable to me. These animals are coming into the US, but I can get only "rumors" about how to care for them, and particularly how to breed them. I got some excellent information from Henk Wallays' talk at IAD, but I find it is best to have several sources of experience.

I

ira

if i could get the german papers i could take a crack at translating them, my german is so-so but i am sure i could figure them out or at least get the general gist of them. If they are posted on the net send me a link and i will report back if i am able to do it.

J

jennifer

Tim - if you go to see these N. s. barani again, please try to take a photo of their ventral side. The belly pattern is supposed to be the major distinguishing feature between the two subspecies.

Ira - thank you for the offer. We have several people who are willing to help with translations. The problem is locating the information (most of it is not online) and getting permission to translate it.

S

sergé

Nope, the belly pattern is exactly the same..in strauchii and barani. The original description of barani mentions something on the stripe on the belly not being interrupted, but in fact it can be too. So the belly pattern is certainly not the biggest difference. The biggest difference is that barani doesn't get much more yellow spots when it grows, whereas strauchii gets more and more spots as it grows old. And I think juveniles from strauchii have relatively bigger spots than barani. Compare these juveniles with strauchii ones, somewhere else on this forum.

S

sergé

Just to show: here is a barani from the type locality
21156.jpg

and here is a strauchii from near Van See.
21157.jpg

Both males and photographed in the wild (and they are still there). These are two that look very similar.
These are two old females. This is a female barani:
21158.jpg

and this is a female strauchii
21159.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1