Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl n00b, help!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Yesssssss B&Q! I totally forgot about them, there's one just down the road! I'll pop down there after lunch, thanks!

No worries :p I had a problem finding large rocks as I've got undergravel filters and aquatic centers take the p! Their large rocks are so ridiculously expensive! Large beach pebbles from B&Q, aquarium and pond safe...can't go wrong at £6!!

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've changed about 30% of my water, moved the filter against the side of the tank and got huge pebbles. If they swallow them, I will eat my hat. Is it looking better? I've attached a photo of the new jigged around tank (complete with Snork Maiden posing) and 2 pics of Spook being cute just because it would be a crime not to.

Attachments

• SAM_1412.jpg
    SAM_1412.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,879
  • SAM_1415.jpg
    SAM_1415.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 774
  • SAM_1418_sharpened.jpg
    SAM_1418_sharpened.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 472

Sam77

Reaction score
Hiya, your axies are soo cute, and your tank is looking good. I just read your first post about having just picked up your axies, so I am guessing you have not yet cycled your tank? If you have, ignore me, 20% weekly water changes will be fine, but if not, you will need to change at least 20% daily until the tank is cycled, to keep the ammonia/nitrite levels low enough to not cause harm. Is the 6 in 1 test liquid or strips? The strips are notoriously in accurate, so if so, you would be better off getting the liquid tests (API are the best) and testing the levels daily until the tank is cycled. I hope I have not offended you if you have already cycled the tank, but I learnt the hard way after being told the same as you by the pet shop I got mine from (I had never heard of cycling before!) also, if you want a reliable source of worms, I get mine from worms direct, they are awesome, delivered next day, and go out of their way to advice and help out, even mixing different species for me to see if mine had a preference! Good luck ;)

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I have the strips, I've just ordered a liquid ammonia test and am waiting for it very impatiently in the post. My original problem was that after 5 days of having the guys, I found out about cycling, so from now on i'll do a water change every day. Do you happen to know how long cycling usually takes? Or is just as long as the ammonia levels decrease and nitrates increase? You're a life saver for telling me about worms direct! Who knew that there was a website just for worms?! What size of worm should I get for my size of axies? Also how much worm should I be feeding them? Fan has arrived today :happy:

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Also, this morning I've been reading about feeding dishes and I've cut a plastic bottle in half and was going to pop my cube of bloodworm in the end of it to minimise mess. I was wondering whether that would be okay for 2 axolotls or whether I should put 2 plastic bottles feeders in so they have one each...

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Aaaand another wormy question, I see you order bags of live worms from worms direct. How do you keep them once you've ordered? Do you chop them up and freeze them? Or do you keep them alive? :confused:

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
I too am a new Axies keeper and I would love answers to the above questions as well. They would be very educational and help me feel more at ease.

Sam77

Reaction score
Hiya, I will try to answer all your questions!

The cycling process time varies depending on how many axies you have, how big your tank is etc. but with one axie in a 20 gallon tank, my cycle took 9 weeks from start to finish. You will need to test daily, and at first you will see ammonia levels rising, try to keep them as low as possible, but definitely under 0.5. A few times my levels got this high, so I did a larger water change. Then you will find that the ammonia levels start to tail off, and the nitrite levels start rising. Keep up with the water changes, keep the levels as low as possible again, and eventually, when you think the cycling will never end, you will start seeing nitrate readings, and then ammonia and nitrites will eventually read 0. Then you can drop down to weekly water changes, to keep the nitrates down - it is always a good idea to test the nitrate levels before you do your weekly water changes at first, just so you know how quickly the levels are building up. I change the water in my tank weekly, but my nitrates are always low as I have a large tank and lots of plants, so I know that I can get away with leaving the water change a few more days if I need to!

I order mixed Dendrobaena's from worms direct, as I tend to give them a large worm then a small one, but this is just a habit I have got into with mine. The man on the phone is very helpful, I always ask him a ton of questions, and when I first ordered from him he made me up a special pack of mixed Dendrobaena's and lobworms as mine were eating lobworms, and he said that some axies don't like Dendrobaena'sm but mine do! Lobworms are the normal garden worms, but dendrobaenas last longer and keep better, so I prefer them!

The worms come in a little plastic bucket, which I used to keep them in, but now I empty them out into a big plastic Tupperware and they seem to keep better in there, and I feel better as they have more space. I feed them a little mashed potato (no butter, slt or milk!) and put some damp shredded paper in with them. I used to keep them in the fridge, in the bottom salad drawer, but dendrobaenas are ok at room temp, unless the temp is hot in the summer, and my friendly worms direct man told me they will do better not being exposed to extremes of temp. Lobworms need to be kept in the fridge though.

when I am going to feed them I use tongs to pull them out, rinse them in some water, then put the in a clean pot and use clean tongs to feed them to the axies. You can't freeze them, they smell bad enough when one has did in the pot, they would be gross frozen and rethawed!!

Feeding them is trial and error. How big are they? Mine get roughly 2 worms every other day, sometimes more if they are peering at me and begging for food!

I would try with one feeding dish, and see how they get on. They might need one each. I tried using one at first, but found it went everywhere anyway, and now I use bloodworm more as an occasional treat, so I feed it the day before a tank clean and let them hunt around the tank for it, I figure it stops them getting bored! Mine eat everything in sight anyway, so there is never any bloodworm left the next day!

Sorry for the essay, I hope this helps a bit. Good luck with the cycling, API test kits will become your friends!! You will soon get so used to constantly testing the water!

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Do NOT apologise for the essay! That's helped a whole bunch. I'll order some medium lobworms for now (lobworm is a horrible word). I shall keep up with 20% water changes every day then, test the water frequently and have a go at playing wiggly worms with my babies. I've got to say, since I've changed the water, faced the filter against the wall, and directed a fan into my tank, both of my axies are swimming around a LOT more and hanging out at the surface. They like to swim under the fan and float underneath it. The temperature has now gone down to 17.5C, hip hip hooray!

Sam77

Reaction score
That sounds perfect. It is quite easy to keep them happy really, once you get to know their personalities. I also meant to say, I don't know how big yours are, but if the worms are too large for them you will have to cut them up! :eek: I haven't been able to bring myself to do this yet!!

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Yes, I'm definitely on my way to getting to know them. Major personality traits : Eating, eating, sitting very still in plantpots, eating. I think I'm going to feel a little guilty setting up a nice home for worms in my fridge and then creeping in and murdering them one by one like a serial killer :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1