Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo Periods (Salamandra Salamandra)

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, another quick question, how important do you feel photo periods are for Salamandra Salamandra, or any Salamandra species,(or even Salamanders in general!!)? I keep mine in a wine cooler for the warm summer here in California (its pitch black in there). So far other than picky eating, they are doing ok. Should I expect anything unusual once I remove them from the wine cooler and put them in a terrarium for the cooler months here?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say a stable photo period is very important for the well-being of most salamanders. Along with changing ambient temperature, day length is probably one of the seasonal triggers that initiates courting behaviour in males and egg production in females. The newts that I keep are considered as easy to breed and only seem to need a basic summer and winter day length with a gradual change period in between, but mimicking the exact time of year seems like a no brainer for more challenging species. Could you rig up an LED light in the wine cooler?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1