Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New lotl baby!

SarahJ

Reaction score
Hi all! I just got my new baby (about 4 inches) a couple of days ago. Her name is Gilly Golly McSquish. I love her so much! She has been pretty shy but just a few hours ago she started coming out of her shell. She swims up to the front of the tank to stare at me. She has the cutest little face! She's currently eating angle worms that I cut up for her, but she can be kind of fussy and only likes to eat them if they move a lot or else she loses interest. She's pretty thin so I tried to give her a waxworm that she ate but then spit up... so maybe ill try again later. She seems to like the angle worms okay though, are angle worms okay for them? She's in a 10 gallon right now and I keep the water temp at 66-68 degrees. She has a filter that has a spray bar and it seems alright, just kind of loud. I tried to look for sponge filters but I couldn't find any. Anyways, I just wanted to say hello to the community and was wondering if anyone could give me some general advice. Thank you and hello all!

SarahJ

Reaction score
Gilly! I tried to attach a picture so hopefully this worked

Attachments

• gilly.jpg
    gilly.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 156

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome! Gilly is really cute :) I think angle worms are good food to feed, they are nutritiously pretty well balanced.

Donna001

Reaction score
Gilly is beautiful, and such a fantastic name.

I've attached links to all the areas that I used for research before getting my axolotls. It is a lot of information, but it's worth reading through as much as possible. As you have specifically mentioned feeding I have included the links to those articles as well.
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms
Caudata Culture Articles - Nutritional Values
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Silly Axolotls

I have only had my gang for four months and have spent a lot of time on this forum gathering as much information as possible. There are a lot of very experienced keepers and breeder here, and they have an enormous amount of knowledge and experience, which they are happy to share.
I hope that the links are helpful. Please raise and concerns or questions that you have on this forum and please keep us posted on the progress of your little one, with lots of pictures please - we love pictures. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1