Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl is Pale and does not eat enough food

Wyvell

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First time Axolotl dad here, I got my Axie last wednesday and he seems to be active and exploring but does not seem to be eating enough food. He eats a very small amount of bloodworms and will eat around one red wiggler a day that I have been cutting into thirds so he can handle them.
water Temp is currently 66 degrees F.
Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite are within acceptable range.
I do have a filter running but it runs in a corner of the tank and pours over a tank decoration and has some plants around it to break up the movement.
In addition, I seem to notice his gills slightly curled forward and he looks a little pale.
There were a few minnows in his tank but I removed them because he wouldnt eat them and they seemed to stress him out. Currently there are 3 small ghost shrimp in the tank but they stay far away from him and are usually inside of one of the hides.
He will not eat pellet food or frozen brine shrimp. only the movement of the wigglers seems to provoke him. He is also afraid to eat from my hand or from tweezers.
The picture attached shows him when we first brought him home. He is pale in the photo.
My Axie is around 2 inches long.
Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• 21439285_1657990207544385_597459832_o.jpg
    21439285_1657990207544385_597459832_o.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 169

Wyvell

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I took a water sample to the local Fish store. We did a water test and found it was high on ammonia. Probably due to it being a new tank setup. I have since added Stability and Amguard along with a biomedia to the filter. I hope that gets it sorted out. I will also be doing small water changes throughout the week. Any comments on other things that would help are appreciated. Thanks all!

Sillystar

Reaction score
When my axolotls were younger, they really liked frozen bloodworms and live blackworms and tubifex. A wiggling mass of live blackworms is nearly irresistible to any healthy axolotl. I can buy a couple of Tbsp of blackworms from my local fish store and store them in my fridge with daily water changes, but I know you can also buy them online in bulk. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!