Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

In need of a little advise please

Lamarti

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Laura I’ve been loving and caring for my beautiful reptiles and amphibians for almost all my life (since I was 9). Well I’m sad to say my 12 year old tiger salamnder fluffy is bloated and in bad shape, he’s been on antibiotics for about two weeks but not much improvement. I recently purchased some amphibian ringers solution but I’m not sure how to use it? Do I dilute it? Or place it in a clean glass bowl and place him in for 5-10 minutes at time? Please if anyone has the answer he and I would be so greatly appreciative. Also he’s been in this state for several weeks I’m getting very worried if I don’t act soon he may not make it. Thank you to anyone who may be able to help.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Bloating can be a sign of several conditions, the reason behind it needs to be established as it could be something serious like liver failure. If it hasn't been to the vet I suggest a trip asap.

Lamarti

Reaction score
Thank you for replying,
He has seen our vet although she wasn’t able to tell me what the reason for the bloat is because I can’t afford the very expensive testing ( X-rays and blood work ) so she prescribed two antibiotics and said we could also try the dip solution which brings me to the question I had on how exactly to use it safely.

Lamarti

Reaction score
Thank you,
I will give him a bath this after noon. Hopefully he’ll be interested in dinner his appetite has gone down hill since starting the antibiotics. I’m going to make a call to his vet to ask her also but since I’m here for advise is this normal? He usually eats live guppies and snacks on shrimp pellets but since he’s in quarantine, He doesn’t have access to his guppies and has shown not interest in the pellets I’ve also tryed other live foods like roly-poly‘s And crickets and I’m going to try earthworms this evening and cross my fingers he’ll snack on those.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Good luck. If you could put a few pics up and document your treatment it may help others in future.

Lamarti

Reaction score
Sorry I can’t figure out how to post pictures, but as soon as I figure it out I will. As far as the treatment, here’s what I’ve been doing and done.... first I quarantined in a very clean 10 gallon tank/aquarium I lined the bottom with plain white paper towels and kept them moist and made sure to change them out daily, making sure to be wearing gloves when handling him and everything in the tank. He was started on two antibiotics which I gave him once per day for 21 days, about 14 days into the antibiotics I started the Ringers solution baths once a day for 20 min at a time. I didn’t see much improvement so I tried a more drastic approach and placed a glass pie pan in his tank and let him soak in the solution for four days, I did this twice and in between giving him a couple day break in a fresh water bath. I should also note that while he’s been in quarantine I’ve been spraying him with water to keep him moist every couple hours which, while he’s in the Ringers solution also helps to drop the salinity which I think should be done before he’s place in fresh water. Ok so all that said, he’s done with treatment now and has lost a ton of excess weight, is pooping and is much more energetic and I think is ready to join his mate I’m so happy to see him back to his normal self and I hope this helps anyone in need of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1