Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

paddletail newt turning light?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
I got my paddletail newt a few weeks ago. In the last few days I've noticed that his tail is lightening up and there are a few little gray spots on it. There are also a few small spots on his side. Is this something that's normal?

Abrahm

Reaction score
Do the spots look anything like the spots on the end of this paddle-tail's tail? it may just mean that you have a male and he is getting into his breeding dress.

Alternatively it may mean that he has a fungal, parasitic or bacterial infection. Any chance that you can post a photo of these spots?

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
It's hard to tell if this newt's spots look like his because my newt is a different color. He is black, but his spots are sort of a grayish color. I'll try to post pics as soon as possible.

koala

Asian Newt Group
Reaction score
Ok, it turns out I can't get any pictures of it because my camera does not have a good zoom lens and it always comes out blurry. I asked a question on Yahoo answers and some one said it could be camouflage if my tank is a lighter color than the pet store one. Do you think that's true?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, newts do not change color in response to the color of their environment. They do sometimes become a lighter color in response to stress. Some will just randomly fluctuate between a lighter/darker color. It may mean nothing at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!