Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeder fish

J

jack

hi
i am goin on holiday for a week and i was wonder if it will be alrite to put some feeder fish into the tank also wat breed of feeders should i put in there and lastly how many should i put in to last a week

thanks a lot

E

edward

If you are going away for a week, I would suggest just not feeding them.

Ed

J

jennifer

I agree with Ed. The feeder fish have risks (do a search for old discussions), and one week is no problem for newts. Even two weeks is usually no problem.

L

laura

I was told that it is bad to deprive them of food for a week, they get restless.

am_i_a_newt

Reaction score
I wouldn't put feeder fish in with it as they are usaually in poor health and theres a risk of them carrying diseases

Cizza

Reaction score
just put a few live bloodworms in a corner (not to meny) and tht will keep them going!

Ciz

Abrahm

Reaction score
just put a few live bloodworms in a corner (not to meny) and tht will keep them going!

Bad idea.

Leaving food in the tank, especially when you will be gone is a bad plan. Excess food will quickly begin to rot and foul the water. The spike in ammonia and nitrite that can occur could be fatal and cannot be dealt with since no one is home.

Since the owner is absent and cannot monitor the water or correct any problems it is best to minimize any changes in water chemistry. Not feeding helps that for two reasons: the first being that feeding isn't necessary as a newt can easily go a week without food and the second being that with the newt eating nothing it will have less waste to excrete and thus water parameters will change less than normal.

Please be careful of the advice you give.

Also, please be aware of post dates when you reply. This person left on vacation three years ago.

Ed

Reaction score
Just to add to the information that was posted even though it is an outdated thread..
Often amphibians in captivity are obese so a short fast is not a risk for them while increasing the bioload on the tank when it cannot be monitored is a big risk to the animal's health.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!