Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: 12 Year Old Tiger Salamander with Skin Issues

gtrheroine

Reaction score
Hello,
I've had my Tiger Salamander for 12 years. He has lived in a 40 gallon, half soil/ half water terrarium for the duration of his life. Today, I noticed his tail has a reddish, pink stripe appearing on the sides of the tail extending almost half-way up the tail. Also I have found a bunch of little bumps on him: one on his head, one above the eye area, and one on his tail. Are these signs of a bacteria infection (or worse) or just the markings of old age? He gets a diet of mealworms, crickets, brine shrimp, and tubifex worms...and is a little bit fat. His appetite is healthy and he is very responsive. He has no problems with his balance, and he is swimming normally in a low level of water. In July, I lost my African Clawed Frog to bloat,(I think). This frog shared the tank with him so I am a little worried. The water has been changed and I keep it clean. Can anyone here help me understand what these things might be?

Thanks!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I've had my Tiger Salamander for 12 years. He has lived in a 40 gallon, half soil/ half water terrarium for the duration of his life. Today, I noticed his tail has a reddish, pink stripe appearing on the sides of the tail extending almost half-way up the tail. Also I have found a bunch of little bumps on him: one on his head, one above the eye area, and one on his tail. Are these signs of a bacteria infection (or worse) or just the markings of old age? He gets a diet of mealworms, crickets, brine shrimp, and tubifex worms...and is a little bit fat. His appetite is healthy and he is very responsive. He has no problems with his balance, and he is swimming normally in a low level of water. In July, I lost my African Clawed Frog to bloat,(I think). This frog shared the tank with him so I am a little worried. The water has been changed and I keep it clean. Can anyone here help me understand what these things might be?

Thanks!
Can't tell you 'what these things might be', but I can tell you it is not the markings of old age. It does sound infectious....reddish stripes and bumps. I would suggest taking the animal to an exotic vet experienced with ampibs if possible, to determine what it is.

The fact that you were keeping two distinct species together does not generally bode well for the health and longevity of either animal. Pathogens, husbandry and environmental conditions specific to each species always sets up a potential for concern and often disaster.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1