Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Warty newt has developed light coloured stripe on his tail (!)

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
In the past few days my warty newt has developed a light coloured stripe down the length of his tail. The stripe is on both sides of his tail and is centered, approximately 1/3 of the height of the tail (see attached picture).

The only major environmental change over the past few days has been the cooling of the tank as the weather has cooled. I had been able to maintain the tank at 22-23 C for the past several months; over the past few days the water has cooled to 20-21 C.

Is this a normal colour change in the newt? What might have caused it?

I was concerned that it might be an infection, however he does seem as active as usual (perhaps even more active - he spends more time swimming back up the surface and climbing all over the plants and the pump) and his appetite is good.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5710v2.jpg
    IMG_5710v2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 922

caudatadude28

Reaction score
I dont have experience with this species but from my experience with newts in general, I would say its a male going into breeding condition.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Of course, it's sign that your newt is a male that enters his breeding season - tail sheen is a part of breeding dress.

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Janusz and AJ; glad to hear that nothing is wrong with him!

He has been going crazy this evening, swimming back and forth across the tank. How long will the 'mating dress' period last, before he returns to normal? Are there any special considerations while he is in this phase?

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Breeding dress is caused by drops in temperature, different water levels, different light cycles. It is seasonal. It will ware off after the stimulation is gone(above changes).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!