Illness/Sickness: Stress?

Lizz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lizz
My axolotls arrived today and the post office failed to tell us they were even in. They were supposed to call around 6:30 a.m. if they arrived, since they did not call we went out assuming they weren't here. We left around 8:00 and got back around 12:00. We were happy to see three instead of two axolotls but upset to see two of them had nipped tails and one had a finger missing. =/

My melanoid is the one I am concerned about, his tail is curled. It is NOT curled at the tip its just an all around C shape but straightens out if he sits still. He was swimming about a bit, but he had a big aquarium to check out. He only did every once in a while and did not seem frantic. I wanted to make sure he was not stressed? If so maybe from the move? Is there anything I can do to help them adjust easier?

When receiving live animals or sending them, I like to have a signature required - so that might be something you want to think about in the future.

As you can imagine, being bounced around in a dark box for so long, and then suddenly thrust into light all around (opening the box) can be stressful.Just keep them quiet and don't disturb them anymore than necessary. Have you tried to feed them yet? I use that as a meter for how well they are adjusting. ;)

The missing parts should grow back without issue - just keep an eye on them an make sure no cottonlike growth forms (fungus).

Your melanoid should be fine. If you see a kink at the end, then that can be a sign of stress but not a curve like you are describing. This will be just the first of many scares your new little additions will give you! ;)

Welcome to the highly addictive world of axolotls! :D

One of the easiest ways to reduce stress is with Axolotl specific aroma therapy candles. Run to your nearest Amphibian outlet and pick up some blood worm or nightcrawler scented candles and light them near the tank. Put on some light jazz and they should feel right at home in their new tank.

I hope this helps.

Shannon - That is why we are mad at the USPS. We DID require a signature and we were going to pick them up. They never contacted us. :mad: Bad service award for them.

Eric - Is there a place online I can buy these? We live in a small town that doesn't have an aquatic store. Nowhere does except a place two hours away which doesn't sell candles.

One of the easiest ways to reduce stress is with Axolotl specific aroma therapy candles. Run to your nearest Amphibian outlet and pick up some blood worm or nightcrawler scented candles and light them near the tank. Put on some light jazz and they should feel right at home in their new tank.

I hope this helps.

Well, I find this kind of age specific. Adult axolotls enjoy the aromatherapy and soft jazz - except mine who enjoy old school metal like AC/DC or Ozzy.

If these are juveniles, you might want to put on a little Willow Smith (no Justin Bieber though ever!) and maybe let them watch a little Disney channel...Stay away from Cartoon Network where SpongeBob will just raise too many questions! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back