Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Doctor is in ... the fridge. (Constipation, possible impaction)

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
Well, I corralled the Doctor into the jar again - with much more cooperation this time - and he spent an hour killing somewhere close to 20 blackworms. Woohoo! A few more days of that and we'll have a go at an earthworm! :D

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
I should also add that I had a quick PM chat with John about water hardness that evolved into a fungus/bacteria discussion in which he pointed out that "[they] usually only get ... fungus-like ... problems if the temperature is too high or the water is flowing too strongly.' While the Doctor wasn't showing any signs of flow-based stress, I turned down the flow on my AquaClear 20 to minimum and my air stone down to 'barely bubbling;' I am pretty confident this is responsible for some of the improvement.

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
Thanks, Ed.

I now know what the issue is, and what has been causing all of the Doctor's problems for the last two months. Details can be found in this thread here.

Thank you, everyone (other than Ed, since I already thanked him in this post :p) for your help, suggestions, insights and questions. I am hopeful that everything will turn out ok; time, I suppose, will tell.

Coldnorthtoy

Reaction score
Wow. Long time. :p

The Doctor - who started out at like ~7 inches long - is now up to about 9 inches, and has been eating earthworms like they're going out of season for ... over 5 months, I guess?

She's unfortunately currently sharing his 20 gallons with about 30 small (baby-ish) White Cloud Mountain Minnows (all < 3/4" long), as I haven't been able to find a new home for them yet. There were 40 in there originally, so maybe I should just leave her to it and they'll all be gone? :)

I'm hoping to re-home her to a well-planted Walstad-style 40 to 60 gallon tank in the next few months; we'll see how that goes.

Anyways, all amazingly went well. I still hope to eventually put together all the photos I took documenting this crazy process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!