Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Stressed Axolotl baby?

kutiepiekarli

Reaction score
Got my little guy early this morning. He seems to be settling into his home quiet nicely. He seems to really enjoy the blubber i have in there for him, every once in a while he will swim up to it and ride the bubbles all the way to the top to float down and go at it about 3 more times. It really is quiet adorable. He hasn't eaten yet but im guessing its because he needs time to settle? Hopefully so because it worries me. Also can you take a look at his gills? They seem more upward than before, is this a sign that he is stressed? If so what can i do to unstress him? Should i turn the bubbler off for now? I kinda dont want to because he seems to enjoy it alot. He has been quiet active for the past hour im guessing that is good. Any suggestions out there cuz i want him to be cozy in his new tank. Plus i also want to make him comfortable because next wensday i am going to be getting him a pink albino buddy :) and i want to make sure everything is going smoothly.

Cute Photo by MaeBleu_Art | Photobucket

Stressed? Photo by MaeBleu_Art | Photobucket

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
What are you trying to feed him? He may not be hungry yet.give it a day or so until you start to panic.
To me his gills seem fine. If you are worried maybe turn the bubble down? I have a valve on my tubing to regulate the bubbles since my axies love the bubbles too but i find if i have it to high their gills will temporarly go foreward a bit, i just turn it down and it normally rectifies itself.

What a little cutie by the way :)

kutiepiekarli

Reaction score
The breeder i got him from says he feeds them pellets so thats what i got to feed him. I wish i could turn it down :/ its not a fancy one lol just goes on or off. And thank you :) i can wait to get him alil bit of sand and live plants and a little friend. <3

snuggly time

Reaction score
You can probably buy an air control valve online.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Aqua...F8&qid=1364461822&sr=8-3-fkmr0#productDetails
This one would work just the same, you just clip the tubing into it and it reduces the air flow. You'd have to source one from the US though lol.

I wouldn't worry about him not eating yet, mine was so scared when he arrived he stuck his head in between two rocks and didn't move for hours. Maybe try something that moves when you do feed him. Bloodworms, blackworms or even chopped up earthworms.

ebonykrow

Reaction score
What a pretty little guy. His gills don't look any different from what I can tell.

Relax, he will eat, he just needs a little time to settle. A couple of days is not a long time for an axolotl to go without eating.

Oh, and don't forget to quarantine your new axolotl before adding him to the tank, wouldn't want to accidenlty pass on any nasty bugs.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Hi there, love your little cutie.

His gills look fine to me too, my smaller Axies has gills that tend to sit upwards more and he's quite happy and healthy.

Look forward to more pics and when you get a friend for him, try to make sure they are same size or you'll need to divide your tank to prevent bites. ;)

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I had bought a pack at walmart thay came with 9' of tubing, two control valves and a T valve for 5$. I also have my air pump split twice, when i had eggs it was three times and a mess lmao. You can go to your petstore and probably get a air control valve. They are very cheap and just a piece of plastic that you attach on your tubing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1