Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrite burns, very sick axolotl

wetsock

Reaction score
Just checked on my axolotl this morning and noticed he had blisters all along his side, head, and tail. Tested his water and for some reason my cycle crashed during the night and sent the ammonia and nitrite levels off the charts. I moved him to a quarantine tub with fresh, cool dechlorinated water as fast as possible and he isn't looking too hot. He still scratches his gills, he's been super lethargic, and is floating and recently tipping to his side. I'm not sure what to do and this point, is there anything I can do to help him?

wetsock

Reaction score
Here are some pictures for reference. I'm positive these are nitrite blisters

12071325_10200715676452006_1769804716_n.jpg

12064519_10200715676572009_1002509988_n.jpg

12048665_10200715676732013_1034847795_n.jpg

Any help would be really appreciated

Skudo09

Reaction score
Keep him in the tub for now with daily 100% water changes. Clean water will give him the best chance for recovery. You could maybe offer him a tea bath to help soothe the skin? The link below has a guide on how to give a tea bath.

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1