Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen Adult Axolotl food

SethTheMuffin

Reaction score
Hi!
My two babies are still juvies, and they've been eating bloodworms and enjoying them (and growing so fast!) But they're also starting to get to the "adult" stage in the next couple months, when that happens i want to be prepared..

I know a lot of people will feed their axos worms, but... i don't feel comfortable using live bait/earth worms (same reason i don't have a snake.. i can't stomach the feeding)

And i've tried some "turtle pellets" /salmon pellets just to see how they fair with the Axos but they really don't seem interested in the dry foods.

I was hoping someone could direct me to a frozen alternative to feed adult axos?

I've done a pretty hefty search on the forum and found little information on Adult Frozen Food, mainly dry or live :/

SethTheMuffin

Reaction score
Also side note:
I changed the brand of frozen bloodworms and the axolotls poop was previous compact, and easy to pick up. Now it's... loose.. like dirt.. and very hard to clean up every day :/ especially when they try to eat the poop-picking-up-turkey baster i use and spread the poop-dust

Is this normal? Should the axo poop be a little sturdy ball? Or should it be...relatively messy?

tipnatee

Reaction score
Could be both messy and stiff , just like a dog when eating dry food or wet food. Because of frozen food are pretty much a dead stuff... Dead stuff is all depend on who or where you've got them from. Some time seller freeze dried kill them right way, Some seller might Just let the dead worm sit in water to bloat it up to expand the size intenstionally for cheaper the price, or it just happen by accident like worm got heat up during shipping then got refreezes , and that's what cause your axolotl to poop messy ... keep in mind that might works for other people who don't wanna pick up poop and prefer filter to do the job for them ( like me but I owns hundreds of axolotl so I can't pick up after them) I feed them live food so I do get both hard and soft poop to deal with. It's all natural nothing is wrong here no need to worry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!