Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My custom acrylic axie tank project!

Cheva

Reaction score
What a fantastic looking tank! Top job... im also incredibly jealous of the quality of pictures you take of your axies!

hacelepues

Reaction score
What a fantastic looking tank! Top job... im also incredibly jealous of the quality of pictures you take of your axies!

Aw thanks! I just have a pretty good camera... I have nothing to do with it :p

Bdyoung

Reaction score
Nice build. Those are some lucky axolotls. I've been thinking about trying my hand with a plywood tank, but don't have the space quite yet.

JMcCune

Reaction score
Why are you keeping the golden in the mini box? You said something about going away for the weekend, and that he has his own container otherwise, but I don't follow why the box, and not his own container.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Why are you keeping the golden in the mini box? You said something about going away for the weekend, and that he has his own container otherwise, but I don't follow why the box, and not his own container.

When he is in his shoebox sized tub, I change his water every day because it has no filtration. But I often leave for the entire weekend and can't change his water, so I have this box that hangs in the main tank and has lots of little holes to allow clean water from the tank to circulate inside of it. He's almost too big for it, however. He grew an inch in 2 weeks!

So I'm hoping that in a month's time I can add him to the tank, since he's growing so quickly!

hacelepues

Reaction score
Nice build. Those are some lucky axolotls. I've been thinking about trying my hand with a plywood tank, but don't have the space quite yet.

I recently learned about plywood tanks! They seem like a great, cheap way to build a large custom tank :)

Wildebeestking

Reaction score
That's a very beautiful tank you have constructed. I bet your axolotls are incredibly happy to live in it!

hacelepues

Reaction score
How expensive was this to make? Also the tank looks amazing.

Thanks! The acrylic (cut to size), and the materials I used to build it cost just over $200.00 (shipped to my door).

Honestly, a very decent price. I was getting quotes for over $400.00 from acrylic tank companies!!!

IHeartCapnHook

Reaction score
Ok, so I finished!!! It's finally all set up! Here are the remainder of the pictures.

Flame polished edges
9RZ4oh.jpg

Tank in place!
ewmcbh.jpg

Mineralized soil + red clay ready to be mixed!
18bZoh.jpg

Sand + soil + plants
9XOqfh.jpg

Everything in place and filled up
ETT3mh.jpg

Axolotls added! The box the golden is in is detachable and only for when I'm gone for a weekend or so. Otherwise, he's got his own plastic container
5C3dNh.jpg

More views!
QnteQh.jpg

OOGuYh.jpg

And here are some happy axolotls in their new home!
SCqE9h.jpg

aLC01h.jpg

6rv6Ih.jpg

Ho6Gch.jpg

I know this thread is rather old, but I am hoping to get some info on the set up?!?!

- Did you use the silica sand for a thin layer, the dirt for a thin layer, and another silica sand layer on top?
- What is the mineralized soil + red clay for? Where do you purchase it? What is the ratio?
- How has the tank held up over time?
- The flowing box, is that like a breeder box? Did you make that yourself or is that another DIY? Where do you purchase those? (I need something like that too)

The photos are amazing with the step by step walkthru. Amazing job!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!