Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are shrimp pellets a decent food?

rosebloom63

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I recently acquired a little guy I call Afish. Up until this weekend, he was eating frozen blood worms, no issue, but my freezer decided to give up its life. This means cold foods are no longer an option and I don't see myself getting a new one in the near future (I am a college student in a dorm). I know that small shrimp are a good choice, but I am unsure about the pellets. I tried the freeze dried shrimp (bad bad idea, they float and fall apart), because they have the least ingredients and I am still very unsure of my little guy. I saw some sinking shrimp pellets that looked potentially promising, but I don't recall if they are good with some of the other ingredients. Please help! My little bit is hungry!

Axielotls

Reaction score
They sound safe so if there not to expensive id say buy and try. If you see problems arise then trash them but for now if no other food is available to you then try it

Cloppy

Reaction score
They are OK for your axolotl, but I would just go outdoors, flip over a few rocks, and get some earthworms. You get the bonus of having a more nutricious meal, but also watching eat something live.

Wyvell

Reaction score
shrimp pellets should be fine but check your local fish shop/bait shop for red wigglers. if they are too big, cut them into thirds and drop them in. If your axie doesnt like them, try putting the worms in hot water first. this will kill the worm and make it easier for them to handle and it removes the slime layer on them that some axolotls dont like. Wax Worms are good for the occasional treat too if you have a fridge, just dont leave them out. Wax worms are good for helping with weight loss as they are higher in fat and they are easy for axolotls to eat as they dont wiggle a whole lot.
Good Luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!