Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl In Uncycled Tank

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I recently received an axolotl for Christmas, Hes about 3 or 4 inches and hes adorable :p, anyway my mom said for the previous week he had been living in a Tupperware container because they had nowhere to put him so as soon as we got him and his tank we put him in there and he`s been in there for about 8 days. However, prior to this i had no idea what cycling the tank met so i read up on it and the dangers to axies in an uncycled tank. I advised that we should get him out of the tank and keep him in a container with daily 100% water changes and restart the tank so we can properly cycle it and keep him safe, she on the other hand says that they are "hearty" creatures (which i hate when she says that as their skin is more sensitive than fishes) and that he'll be fine because he's tiny and doesn't make that much waste anyway. Ive also noticed that his gills are starting to look slightly curled but im not sure as literally just looking at him makes me think 100 things are wrong because I'm paranoid. He is eating and creating waste on a regular basis so that's good. I don't have the water parameters because strips are inaccurate and im getting a liquid test kit today. i will update when i have them.

Here's Mudkip and his "curled gills" I don't think you can see them very well in the picture.
twiistedacid-albums4939-picture41192t.jpg

What are your guy's thoughts?
Thanks for the replies in advance.

Last edited:

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Re: Axolotl In Uncylcled Tank

Hey Guys, Just an update, We got the liquid test kit and tested and the ammonia levels were way up between 2.0 - 4.0ppm, we removed him from the tank after we got some dechlorinated water and put it in a Tupperware container.
twiistedacid-albums4939-picture41195.jpg

He seems pretty upset and keeps bumping into walls, but he ate after he got in so i think he's okay.

what do I do now though? Do I: A: clean the tank and put him back in. B: Continue what cycle maybe going on in there and keep him in the container. or C: keep him in the container and restart the cycle. Also, should i fridge him during this process? I assume no but im just making sure.

Any reply at all would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Puddlenewts

Reaction score
Re: Axolotl In Uncylcled Tank

Cutie! Golden albino?
I would do 2 50% water changes one right after the other then retest. But I wouldn't put him back with that level. Do you know anyone local with an established aquarium? You can speed up cycling by borrowing some of their decor or filter media. Make sure to keep it wet during transfer though. If it dried assume the good bacteria are dead. I have cycled a tank while and axolotl is in it unfortunately but I monitored the levels several times a day and did lots and lots of water changes. Keep in mind that I have only had my axolotls for a year and larvae salamanders for a year before that so I do not have as much experience as some other people on this site.

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply!

Yeah he's a Golden albino. since we moved him into the container his gills seem to have gone back down to their normal resting position, I thought I was just seeing things but I guess not. I will get onto the water changes ASAP and come back and post the results. I don't know anyone with an established aquarium but I'm pretty sure my parents do so I will ask them. Even if you don't have lots of experience I still am grateful for the reply. Thank you.

will be back soon with the levels post water change.

Puddlenewts

Reaction score
Also sand substrate is not recommended until 5 or 6 inches. And I've found it's more pain to clean than it's worth. I just keep a bare bottom on my tanks. But just an opinion ? lots of people keep adults on sand and love it.
But floating plants help cycling too. Like frog bit or water lettuce for slightly larger tanks. Most aquarium stores have it and my guys love to hide in the hanging roots. It has really spend up my cycle time on new tanks.
And I would do two 50% changes per day until it's cycled and still monitoring.
Sorry you're dealing with a stressful situation but on the bright side it is totally manageable with some extra work for about a month. Your buddy will thank you and you are a step ahead of a lot of people just by seeking help and caring enough about your oxolotl to monitor it's health!

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
I just finished with the water changing and the tests, post water change the Ammonia was at 0.25 - 0.50 ppm and the Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0. I will ask to go to the store and pick up some floating plants and make sure to do my two 50% changes.

What do i do with the little guy though? I assume I leave him in the Tupperware container and continue feeding him and giving him a 100% water changes everyday. I assume not but would it make it easier on him to fridge him? or should I just leave him where he is?

Also, can i use blood worms in the tank to create ammonia for the cycle?

Thank you so much for your help, its greatly appreciated.

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Update: After we changed the tank we went to feed him and he seemed hesitant to eat, almost angry he ate a little bit and then stopped. I tried to feed him a few minutes later and he spit it out. His tail also seemed kinda curled.
twiistedacid-albums4939-picture41221.jpg

Puddlenewts

Reaction score
If it was me a would change more water until your reading is only yellow. Then, if it was me, I would keep the axolotl in the tank and test the water at least every 24 hours and water change after until it reads in the yellow. If he is in the tank he will provide the ammonia and you won't need to add blood worms other than for daily feeding. I wouldn't fridge him but I would make sure your keeping the tank around 63-65 f. My guys get cranky over 67. I cool it by adding ice cubes.
Also if you are headed to the store maybe see if they have safestart to give your cycle a little boost start.

Puddlenewts

Reaction score
It could be that he is just stressed by the many changes he has been going through the last few days. I would try in a few hours but don't panic, he can go a bit without eating. I forgot to ask, you have a filter running in your tank?

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Okay, i will check for that when we go, Thank you so much for the help. Also, yes I do have a filter that's set to low flow

TwiistedAcid

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, Just an update! We got the levels down and Mudkip is back in his tank. He looks happy and his gills look better than ever. were going to be doing daily water tests and water changes until the tank has an established cycle. I would like to thank you all for your help getting through this and helping me figure out what to do. you guys are the best!
twiistedacid-albums4939-picture41223.png

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!