Question: Mealworms staple diet caused obesity?

ntny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
ntny
Hello folks

i have been using gut loaded Mealworms as staple for my Tylototriton verrucosus, Salamandra salamandra and Ambystoma opacum. i also feed them chopped earthworms twice every month
i have notice my Tylototriton verrucosus and Salamandra salamandra get obese with a staple mealworms diet but my Ambystoma opacum looks ok though strange?
i have since switched to Phoenix worms. may i know if Phoenix worms will also cause obesity as staple diet?

Thanks

The best staple nutrition is earthworms. Why don't you stick to them? Easier and cheaper, I think.

Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for advice
yes i have been using chopped earthworms and all my caduates loves them.
but i have a problem keeping earthworms alive for over 1 month. they start to die off slowly as time passed. i switched to gut loaded mealworms. they are very tough and they can easily last over 3 months in their deli cups container
i just recently tried phoenix worms, most of my caduates loves them except my aquatic L.laoensis. i am testing how long can phoenix worm last in their deli cup containers, hopefully they can last as long as mealworms up to 3months
just 1 concern about the high fat % of phoenix worms which similar to mealworms.

Thanks and have a nice day

Hi Folks,

i have a Tylototriton verrucosus which became really obese after eating staple diet of mealworms. it is very fat and much larger then the others. i have since stop feeding mealworms and switched to earthworms and phoenix worms
is there anyway i can make it less obese like before? feed lesser example once per week?
thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back