PLEASE HELP - Axie not eating, constipated and floating

P

paige

Hi everyone I am really starting to become worried about my little Sonic and I was hoping you guys could help.

I've had him for over a year now and he has always been active and had a big appetite. But a little while ago he started going off his food. He usually loves worms and would also eat pellets but he stopped eating them. He went a few weeks without eating but then I tried some chicken breast and he ate that so I thought he was okay. But since then he hasn't eaten anything and it's been like over a month. I am so worried about him. He hasn't gone to the toilet in this time either. I live in Australia so the weather is hot but he is in the bath which usually stays quite cold due to the concrete walls. My thermometer is broken, but I'm sure the temp is fine as it feels quite cold. I have to get a kit to test the other levels though.

And now the last few days he has been floating constantly. He seems to keep getting air all the time. I even tried to massage him. Normally he doesn't let me pick him up though and now he just sits there and lets me handle him.

PLEASE HELP!

i think you need to get a thermometer and test kit asap, because even though it may feel cool it might not be for your axie, it sounds to me like maybe sonic has heat problems, but the water could also be a problem. Before i got a chiller for my tank my axie was always at the surface gulping air even though i had an airstone and i had to check my water perameters everyday, when i got really hot i had to do 20 per cent water changes. she also went off her food for long periods of time. how long has he been in the bath and has this only been happening since hes been in the bath or did you put him in the bath after.

Thanks for your help, I am going to get a test kit and thermometer today. When he got too big for his tank I put him in the bath cause I couldn't afford a bigger tank ... so he has been in the bath for like a year. He is usually fine in there and loves it cause he swims laps. So I didn't think his recent problems were because of the bath in particular.

the bath would be great size wise i considered the bath once for my axie cause we have a few tubs around the house cause we have horses. if yours in your house maybe get a second hand one and make it permantley his tank, you could put a few axies in a tub, some plants and a filter sort of like a pond, then when i got hot you could move the tub to cooler parts of the house or even outside. when you get your test kit keep us posted on the results

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back