Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dicamptodon aggregations

pete

Reaction score
I stumbled across this article (Herpetological Conservation and Biology 5(1):149-154.) that may be of interest for Dicamptodon enthusiasts. It is an interesting find given the elusive nature of transformed adults, and maybe of interest for people considering habitat/tank mates for these poorly understood caudates. Here is the abstract:

UNUSUAL SUBTERRANEAN AGGREGATIONS OF THE CALIFORNIA
GIANT SALAMANDER, DICAMPTODON ENSATUS​

GARY M. FELLERS, LESLIE L. WOOD, SARAH CARLISLE, AND DAVID PRATT

Abstract.—Larval Dicamptodon are one of the most abundant vertebrates in headwater streams in the Pacific Northwest.
Their numbers and biomass can exceed those of all other amphibians, and of salmonid fishes. By contrast,
metamorphosed Dicamptodon are only found infrequently, usually during formal surveys using pitfall traps, cover
boards, or time constrained surveys However, we found two aggregations (23 and 27 individuals) of metamorphosed
Dicamptodon ensatus during a culvert removal project at Point Reyes National Seashore, California. Furthermore, we
found an additional 23 terrestrial D. ensatus in terrestrial habitat adjacent to the culverts. We did not expect these
aggregations because metamorphosed individuals are so rarely encountered, and aggregations are likely to increase
competition and predation in a species known to feed regularly on vertebrate prey. Deteriorating culverts might provide
an unusually high-quality habitat that leads to aggregations such as we describe. Our observations may provide insight
into the natural haunts of D. ensatus—underground burrows or caverns—and if so, then aggregations may be normal,
but rarely seen.​

Edit: It seems to me that this article may give some detailed locations and may be against site policies. Feel free to moderate or delete as necessary. I apologize for any trouble

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Subterranean... that would help explain their rarity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1