Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: New outdoor tank

Toptex

Reaction score
Hi guys,
It has been a while since I last posted anything so I thought I would let you know what I've been up to.

I had many issues in regards to the temperature of the water with my inside tanks. My poor axies were truly stressing and I did everything short of buying a cooler to try and keep water temps down. Consequently I lost 3 of my gorgeous axies so we had to think of an alternative.

I have 4 axies, Darky, Daisy, Sunshine and Grenade and they have been relegated outside and almost forgotten. :eek: But that's not to say that they have been neglected. They are fed a bunch of healthy fat earth worms every 3/4 days and are swimming happily in their new rain water tank that we set up about a year ago.

Thankfully my hubby is handy. He obtained a foam box from a kitchen appliance place, rendered it and sealed it. We placed it under a downwater pipe which collects the rainwater from the roof and I connected a filter (tho probably a bit small for the size of the tank.) A bag of sand (let it settle for a week or so), some live plants in it and my tank was born, my axies happy as ever. It never overflows as we consistently use the water for the garden. :D

I regularly test the water specs and they are perfect and water temp is a low 13-16 degrees C all year round due to the polystyrene properties.

So there you have it.....my axie tank.

Cheers
MA

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 336

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Awesome! Predataition happens when the pond/tank is shallow enough for the predators to get in. They might be safe in thee because it seems quite deep. Great set up.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Axolotls do come to the surface a cat could get them,excellant set up, the axolotls must love it.

Toptex

Reaction score
No I don't. It serves as a drinking tank for all the wallabies and kangaroos too. :rolleyes:

We have heaps of possums too but have never had a problem falling in - they hate water.

Probably not a bad idea to put some sort of cover on top though, for safety and mossie reasons.

blackdog

Reaction score
HA - Ian, you nearly made coffee come out my nose!

Predatory wallabies? Very funny.

It's not the wallibies you have to watch, it's the drop bears..........

Bren

Toptex

Reaction score
thats true, or a bird.

Yeah, I did think a bird might be interested but seems not. Since I have put the axies in the tank a year ago, I have never seen them swim to the top of the water. They used to swim a lot when I had them in the tanks inside but now they are always on the ground. Maybe they have a sixth sense and stay put on the ground in case of predators.

xxianxx

Reaction score
HA - Ian, you nearly made coffee come out my nose!

Predatory wallabies? Very funny.

It's not the wallibies you have to watch, it's the drop bears..........

Bren

Lol, glad you appreciated the joke! ive seen animal planet and wallabies beaks are way too short to get an axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!