Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Moss Ball

hacelepues

Reaction score
There is no size description, so I don't know if your axies might swallow it. If you're going to purchase it, contact the seller and ask them before buying!

Anyways, why not get a real moss ball? They also remove bad stuff from the water, and add a little oxygen! And they last wayyyy longer than 2 months.

esn

Reaction score
I have one of these in my axie tank. I've used live moss balls before. I've noticed no difference between them. This thing is supposed to remove algae, but I haven't noticed any change yet. However, it has only been a week. I can't give any word towards the effectiveness of this product, other than that it's safe for a try.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I was pointed to Giant Marimo balls recently. I ordered the 3 pack but watch out for the 9$ shipping on the one I linked, I'll let you know when I get'em, what I think, etc.

GIANT Marimo?! I hope they've got the size wrong on that listing :eek:
If they are 3.8cm, hey're smaller than the standard marimo that I bought last year / the year before :confused:

loadedsith

Reaction score
I think the giant is probably just in comparison to the others they sell, im not sure, it would be interesting for 3 baseball sized balls of moss to show up though!

loadedsith

Reaction score
I was pointed to Giant Marimo balls recently. I ordered the 3 pack but watch out for the 9$ shipping on the one I linked, I'll let you know when I get'em, what I think, etc.

My new balls arrived today.

The balls were in a plastic bag with moist but no fluid water. This bag was wrapped in another bag, clearly stating that if the balls were unsatisfactory they well dispatch new ones. This second bag was wrapped in newspaper. Then the newspaper was put in an envelope.

I have no idea how to feel about the packaging, but thats how they came and they seem in good health.

2 sank immediately, the 3rd maybe 45 minutes later.

Screen-Shot-2012-03-05-at-5.35.42-PM.png

With my hand for reference.

MossBallsDay11.jpg

With standard aquarium airline tubing for reference.

MossBallsDay12.jpg

Close up, with light.

MossBallsDay13.jpg

The shipping made the moss oblong.

MossBallsDay14.jpg

Then the fashion show.

MossBallsDay15.jpg

Hit the lights!

Martin21114

Reaction score
Those look pretty decent. The only ones I've seen in person were smaller and $8 a pop at petsmart.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1