Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank Upgrade (cooling)

Nano

Reaction score
I am upgrading my 90l aquarium to a 240l aquarium as my Axie needs some more space. The only thing I'm worried about is cooling. I have had enough trouble this summer keeping the tank below 24 degrees and I'm worried about having such a large tank to keep cool. Do fans even work in humid(ish) British heat?? I am thinking about a chiller but most are about £250 and thats a lot on top of a £500 tank. Do many of you out there have them and do you have any recommendations? (The cheaper the better as long as they work well)

Cacique

Reaction score
There are DIY mini fridge chillers, but I haven't bothered with one of those yet. I use a fan on my tank and it's situated with an AC vent blowing at it. I had my axolotl in a 37L (10G) when he was a juvie and upgraded him to a 208L (55G). The 208L tank actually stays about the same temperature if not a degree or 2 lower than the 37L tank, and other than being a bit closer to the AC, nothing has changed other than a bigger air pump since the tank is bigger, but I'm still using the same clip on fan.

Xtophr

Reaction score
Evaporative cooling does work better in lower humidity.

Here are some cooling ideas:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

I went with a standard aquarium chiller in order to reduce tank temperature by 10 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as to keep the temperature stable, in order to avoid stress-related ailments (both for the axies as well as myself :happy:).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1