Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andersoni, Axolotl or a hybrid?

vanjaif

Reaction score
Hey!

2 days ago I picked up my new axolotl.
She is 12cm and has had a ruff start in life.
She is missing both gills and toes, but she has an amazing color and pattern I have never seen before, the camera doesn't even do her justice.

A lot of people have commented my Instagram pictures, and told me she cant be an axolotl.
So I'm hoping some of you can help, is she a full breed axolotl? Can it be an Anderson or a hybrid?

Vanja

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4,924
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,873
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,406
  • IMG_0130.jpg
    IMG_0130.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,078
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,327

alanaswindell

Reaction score
Kinda looks like its about to morph, or isn't an axolotl. But I could be wrong, sometimes axolotls just look like this! Hopefully someone will come along and know for sure, so you can know exactly what to do!

xxianxx

Reaction score
It looks like an axolotl though it does show unusual patterning which is reminiscent of A.andersoni, it also shows a smaller tail to body ratio of which again is reminiscent of A.andersoni. However it is unlikely to be an A.andersoni/A.mexicanum hybrid as they have the body shape of A.mexicanum, its also definetly not A.andersoni as it lacks the webbed back feet. Its a nice looking axy , probably with a regenerated tail from an injury.

JM29

Reaction score
I keep axolotls (definitely Ambystoma mexicanum) and I once gave 2 offsprings to a nephew. Several months later, one of them had this unexpected but pretty color.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I don't think it can be anything other than A. mexicanum. It's very nice one, and I agree with Ian that the markings are very andersoni-ish. But it's the wrong colour for andersoni, and the feet are wrong. And I don't think any breeder would sell an andersoni for axolotl prices!

I have wildtypes with similar markings.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I vote hybrid. Julia's hybrids show the same distribution and pattern.

esn

Reaction score
I vote hybrid as well. Very similar. Andersoni are prone to morph though. Keep an eye on gill growth/recession.

vanjaif

Reaction score
Kinda looks like its about to morph, or isn't an axolotl. But I could be wrong, sometimes axolotls just look like this! Hopefully someone will come along and know for sure, so you can know exactly what to do!

She isn't showing any signs of morphing, her gills was eaten by fish. Or maybe damaged thanks to the fact that her previous owner kept in a water over 25 degrees celsius. :mad:

Does anyone know if its possible to know 100% what species she is? Or is this just going to be a guessing game? I was hoping to introduce her to my other axolotls when she gets bigger, but not sure if it is a good idea if she is a hybrid? All my axolotls are girls so I'm not planing on breeding them, but I have heard that Andersoni can have a higher temper than axolotls. Is this true?

Honestly I didn't know Andersoni existed before someone commented that she looked like one :kill:

vanjaif

Reaction score
Oooh and I live in Denmark, people in a Danish axolotl group told me that its possible to get an Andersoni in Denmark. But i can't find any information online to support that. So as far as I can see they aren't in my country at all.

esn

Reaction score
Pretty much impossible to know for sure. The head is a little more rounded than mine. The coloration and the chin/neck area resemble andersoni more, but I really do believe it is a hybrid.

If you don't plan on breeding I see no reason why you couldn't put her up in the axolotl sorority. I had no problems keeping my andersoni and axolotls together. They do tend to be more active and energetic, especially during feeding time, so I would just make sure that you have a good amount of space for her. My andersoni also ended up being 13 and 14 inches, so consider her space requirements to be more axolotl and a half.

vanjaif

Reaction score
Wow I hope she gets that big :D She is 12cm now (approx. 4.7 inches), and my 13 months old axolotls has stopped at 25-26cm (10 inches).

I will keep her by herself until she gets older and at least as big as my axolotls. Then I will also get to know her mood and energy level better. Right now she is the most calm animal I have ever owned, during the day the barely moves at all.

auntiejude

Reaction score
A. andersoni cannot tolerate higher temp at all, in fact they are more sensitive to heat and prefer cooler water than axies.

Are you able to find out where the previous owner got her from?

vanjaif

Reaction score
A. andersoni cannot tolerate higher temp at all, in fact they are more sensitive to heat and prefer cooler water than axies.

Are you able to find out where the previous owner got her from?

I'll try to write the previous owner :happy:

How much more sensitive are they for heat? I keep my axolotls pretty stable at 16-18 degrees celsius.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Im suprised at the number of people who think this is a hybrid, of course everything in this thread is opinion rather than fact, so everyones opinion is valid. However considering this animal to be a hybrid purely based on its colouring/patterning is probably misguided, wild type axolotls display a wide range of patterns and colouration, which can change depending on environmental conditions. Hybrids have a greater tendency to change appearance than axolotls and the animal in question actually looks more like an A.andersoni than my hybrids have done over a period of time. The pic shows hybrids after they have been kept in a light environment

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ni-hybrids-picture25349-hybrid-cynops-042.jpg

If you check the hybrid thread in this forum you will see just how variable hybrids are , if the animal in questions gills are encouraged to grow they could give additional evidence of whether it is a hybrid. If you check hybrid pics you will see that they hold them forward far more than axolotls do
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...mbystoma-mexicanum-x-ambystoma-andersoni.html

esn

Reaction score
Mom
Im suprised at the number of people who think this is a hybrid, of course everything in this thread is opinion rather than fact, so everyones opinion is valid. However considering this animal to be a hybrid purely based on its colouring/patterning is probably misguided, wild type axolotls display a wide range of patterns and colouration, which can change depending on environmental conditions. Hybrids have a greater tendency to change appearance than axolotls and the animal in question actually looks more like an A.andersoni than my hybrids have done over a period of time. The pic shows hybrids after they have been kept in a light environment

http://www.caudata.org/forum/member...ni-hybrids-picture25349-hybrid-cynops-042.jpg

If you check the hybrid thread in this forum you will see just how variable hybrids are , if the animal in questions gills are encouraged to grow they could give additional evidence of whether it is a hybrid. If you check hybrid pics you will see that they hold them forward far more than axolotls do
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...mbystoma-mexicanum-x-ambystoma-andersoni.html
I was guessing based on head shape, but you are right in that it is entirely possible that it is pure andersoni. But because OP was told that this was an axolotl, the situation gives the impression that it is most likely a hybrid and the previous owner was not told it was andersoni either, meaning it was bought as an axolotl. If the original seller did not say it was an andersoni, it's more likely an unconscious hybrid. Maybe I'm biased because of how difficult true andersoni are to find in the U.S.

But if OP is not breeding, it doesn't matter all that much. They stay active at colder temps that axolotls do. I found that mine really liked the 45-50 Fahrenheit range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!