Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping earthworms

Satsumas

Reaction score
If I order enough dendrobaena worms for an axie to eat 2 every day for a month (in one go), can they last for a month in a fridge? (If 2 worms a day is ideal). This would be roughly 60 worms, so does anyone know how much space they would take up in a fridge and how to keep them alive for a month? -I don’t currently own an axolotl and don’t want to start a wormery- Thanks :p

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I usually keep worms in the fridge, but I generally get a dozen every two weeks or so. Although i've never done it, i believe you can actually freeze them, but you'd have to thaw it out if it's for an axie.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I would think they would start to die on you after that long in the fridge, but I'm honestly not sure. I usually buy enough for two weeks at a time.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep nightcrawlers in the fridge for months.
But you CANNOT freeze earthworms. They will absolutely die, and when they thaw, you will have the stinkiest mess you can imagine. There are few things I have smelled in my life that smell as bad as rotten worms, and I am a nurse.

Satsumas

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone :) can anyone recommend how much to feed an axolotl as I’ve heard varying opinions
Thanks

aalysaz

Reaction score
Don’t they usually eat until they’re full? I’ve heard to just estumate the amount you put in their tank and then clean out what’s left after 1 to 2 hours.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I keep nightcrawlers in the fridge for months.
But you CANNOT freeze earthworms. They will absolutely die, and when they thaw, you will have the stinkiest mess you can imagine. There are few things I have smelled in my life that smell as bad as rotten worms, and I am a nurse.

:lol: I worked in a senior home, so I know what you mean and totally agree. Rotted/dead worms are one of the nastiest smells!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!