Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filters, substrates, setups: please read before posting

keiko

Reaction score
I'd put max 2 axolotls in there. Even then it might get a little cramped once they're fully grown. But the biggest problem is the height. You want the tank to be at least a little higher than your axie is long and axolotls can easily grow to 30 cm and over.

sde

Reaction score
It says right there in the description that it works for tanks up to 30 gallons. I don't see why it wouldn't work, though you have a wide range of options of other filters on that same site that would work and are under $40. Just go to the fish section and select "aquarium filters" and plenty of results will come up, a lot of which are under $40.

icecoolsupersta

Reaction score
I was actually give the idea the other day to use Tile instead of sand or other substrates which seems like a great idea. especially since nowadays they have tile that looks like rocks yet this way there won't be any issues for impaction even for baby axolotls but a really nice appearance. going to try it this weekend!

FoolsDance

Reaction score
I have read through this, but the link to cooling options link is broken. I have not yet found axolotl to purchase, and am still scaping the tank.

Any suggestions from experienced keepers in the south in the US? While I use AC in the summer, I generally keep it at 80 degrees farenheit. Will movement and aeration be sufficient to keep it cool enough or will I need a fan?

FoolsDance

Reaction score
I have read through this, but the link to cooling options is broken. I have not yet found axolotl to purchase, and am still scaping the tank.

Any suggestions from experienced keepers in the south in the US? While I use AC in the summer, I generally keep it at 80 degrees farenheit. Will movement and aeration be sufficient to keep it cool enough or will I need a fan?

Drrukes

Reaction score
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have recently decided to buy an axolotl and I have some concerns about my substrate. I had bought all the necessities for a fish tank and threw it all in there before even realizing it could be wrong. I purchased black aquarium substrate which is obviously not sand as suggested many many times. After reading article after article I am assuming impaction from too large of gravel is the problem not the actual rocks themselves. The substrate I purchased is not large at all but bigger than sand. I was curious if this would be an immediate impact risk or potentially small enough to pass through without harm. I have not purchased an axolotl yet and would not place one in a situation it couldn't survive in but I was hoping for a little direction on this. I would prefer to not have the extra work of now removing all the substrate and replacing it with sand, but I appreciate and will follow all knowledgable advice.

Dan

Swag

Reaction score
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have recently decided to buy an axolotl and I have some concerns about my substrate. I had bought all the necessities for a fish tank and threw it all in there before even realizing it could be wrong. I purchased black aquarium substrate which is obviously not sand as suggested many many times. After reading article after article I am assuming impaction from too large of gravel is the problem not the actual rocks themselves. The substrate I purchased is not large at all but bigger than sand. I was curious if this would be an immediate impact risk or potentially small enough to pass through without harm. I have not purchased an axolotl yet and would not place one in a situation it couldn't survive in but I was hoping for a little direction on this. I would prefer to not have the extra work of now removing all the substrate and replacing it with sand, but I appreciate and will follow all knowledgable advice.

Dan

I'd get rid of it, personally.

Drrukes

Reaction score
I'd get rid of it, personally.

National Geographic

I figured that would most likely be the case. Above is the link for what I have and although th size of the pieces are really pretty small I am assuming it's still a risk not worth taking. I am in the process of aging the new tank currently so I'll just go out and by sand at some point later this week and replace the substrate.

Thanks

Dace

Reaction score
Hello, I will be setting up my tank for axolotls and I'm going with live plants. I plan to use Caribsea Flora Max for a substrate to root the plants in. I'll put about 2" in so the roots will take hold and they will be less likely to be uprooted, then going with an 1-1 1/2" of play sand over that. I'll be planting anubias and banana plants and possibly curly bamboo. I've got a 29 gallon tank and plan on getting 2 Axolotls. You guys are the experts so I'm hoping you will be able to spot any potential problems.

Dace

OasisAxolotl

Reaction score
Seachem-Laboratories-Flourite-Black-Sand-7Kilograms-15.4-lbs-99.jpg

Would this be okay for my Axolotl?

tammyaxie

Reaction score
Hey. I am cycling my 40 gallon breeder tank for 3 juvies. It is coming along nicely now. Crystal clear water. I just need it to cycle. These are my parameters:
PH 7.2
Amonia .50 ppm
Nitrite .50 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm

Is this the look of a "getting there" tank or is there somethibg ai could be doing. I do a 40% water change daily and I jave ghost shrimp only in the tank now. About 4 of the 20 i have died off and i just fping one rotting away in tge small bushy plant in the righy corner. Any advice?
575a8d0e9dfac95624447bb7b92910eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

iguanagrrl13

Reaction score
I've been considering getting some axolotyls. I currently have a bare bottom planted tank.I painted the bottom outside of the tank to create the look of old sand colored brick. I also have planted driftwood. The idea was to make the tank look like underwater ruins and be easy to clean waste from the tank. Do axolotyls require a substrate or will my bare bottom planted tank work for them too?
I know this is an older post, but wanted to give it a try anyway. Do you have any better photos showing how you painted the bottom? I have gone back and forth with my axies on sand and bare bottom. I like the look of the sand, but the bare bottom is SOOO much easier to clean. I do planted driftwood like you, but I also keep some plants other plants in terra cotta pots of various substrates. Gives more options for plants and arrangements within tank. I've thought about painting the bottom (outside of course), but I've only ever seen people do it solid black or light blue. I like the sound of your artistic sand/brick! That might be the perfect solution for me! Would love to see photos!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!