Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl legs bitten off

Lozzaaceee

Reaction score
So....

A friend of mine has axolotls and asked us if we could take one of them because it was being bullied pretty much in its tank. Its back leg had been bitten and had already come off but its front leg had been bitten and was still attached but the leg was dead. I had never had axolotls before but didn't want this poor thing to keep getting attacked so we took her. When we got her home we were fridging her and salt bathing her as her leg was growing fungus. She was reluctant to eat and we weren't convinced she wasn't going to be around much longer as the salt baths and water changes weren't working (even after about 3 weeks) and we read on here about methylene blue. We got some and it worked wonders! (Totally advise that for fungus) We put her back in her tank and the leg eventually fell off naturally so the fungus was gone!

However, there doesn't appear to be any signs of either of the legs growing back. She has started eating a lot more (FIVE worms today) and is pooping normally again. Seems a lot better in her self. The bones on her legs are visible so every other day or so you see a little bit of the fungus (going to get a new filter in hopes we can keep the water cleaner) but we think this could be down to when she eats bloodworms as she is extremely messy. We have sand in the tank which makes it harder to scoop up any left over bloodworm and im scared this could be harbouring dirty left over bloodworms and bacteria that wont be helping her legs recover.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Am I being paranoid about the sand? I have read lots of post of pros and cons of sand but with her only having two legs now and no sign of regrowth, the sand makes it a lot easier for her to move around so dont want to make her miserable by removing it.

TIA!!!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It will take a couple months for the legs to grow back completely. The bone sticking out is no problem. Back off a little on the food. Pellet food or earthworms would be better than bloodworms. Keep the water clean and cool and you should have no problems.

Lozzaaceee

Reaction score
Thank you!!!!

Was worried about her little legs never coming back! She hasn't took well to pellets in the past but I'll give it another go. ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!