Meet Crunchie

Thankyou denise. chokito does spend a bit of time behind the plant, but she also hides behind the pipe and sits on the pot. Thankyou mary, i was pretty upset by sander's comments. I have a new axie mary, her name is chokito and theres photos under my new axie freckles (fiance changed her name) in the axie gallery. and not too be mean but from what i can see in sanders pic, his tank looks bare too, but i'm not going to be rude and nasty about it. i'm a bigger person.

If your water is bad then trow it away and use other water.
I`ve never had problems with that you know.

You cant just get throw away the water and start all over you will make the tank recycle.

Sander. If you replace the water you would need to restart the entire cycling process. Usually if your water turns bad, you can usually take steps to resolve the problems without the need for 6 weeks worth of stress to the axie.

sanders how much water are you suggesting be removed and replaced. i do upto 20% water change every week, replacing this much will not interfer with the bacteria level of the tank, but removing over half or more could change the balance of the tank therefore causing the tank to cycle again. if you are removing more than half your water on a regular basis maybe you have just been lucky

I almost never refresh the water. But if I refresh it than I refresh a lot of the water.

Im sure Sander didn't mean to be rude, I have spoken to him a lot and he is a very nice boy, plus he knows loads about axolotls. And can offer lots of advise.

my tank is the same size and my amby loves it, your right it is suggested on web sites that the tank should have only most necessary things and first i prepared it like you but then i saw tanks of members here and i changed it, i put plants, created cave and tarraces and my amby is so happy, try the next time, but i do not think that you did sth wrong, the fact that he was without gills you know what i mean could be a matter in his death...
to lose an animal is very sad...
sad.gif

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Sander Bauwens on Saturday 10 February 2007 - 14:07 (#POST120823):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

What I think is wrong with this comment is the lack of tact. For most Anglo-Saxons, this is an affront and they prefer a "sugar-coated" version. To get this, Sander, you may try deleting "What an ugly tank" and start by saying: "Do you think the tank might be a little bare for an axolotl?" and enquire about its dimensions. If you are a Dutch-speaking Belgian, then to be so upfront in your criticisms maybe ok (from what I've understood from my own interactions with the Dutch and the Dutch-speaking Belgians).

That's all...

No problem. I can´t help it when people don´t take good care of their axolotls.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Sander Bauwens on Saturday 03 March 2007 - 20:49 (#POST123324):</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Then instead of dishing out comments, help to educate people on how to look after their axies well, Sander. What you say is counter-productive and helps no one.

I was given no information about axolotls when I bought my two, but I've done a lot of research and thanks to this forum, I have educated myself and it does appear that I am doing the right thing.

You can help people when they don't take good care of their axolotls by educating them!

<--- Not an Anglo Saxon. Now where were we? Oh yes. Axolotls.

Well, there are many schools of thought regarding how one ought to lay out an axolotl's tank. Some say plants are great. Personally I feel they're more trouble than they are worth in an axolotl tank. Unless you have a very large tank with very good substrate, plants tend not to last long with axolotls. The exceptions would be very tough plants but those are usually slow growing and they tend to grow in isolation within a tank - no backdrop of greenery or jungle for the axolotl to climb through.

Regarding tank size, bigger is always better of course but axolotls seem to thrive equally well in very small tanks as they do in very large ones, provided water quality is assured by a diligent owner.

Someone mentioned cycling tanks and how drastic changes of water will severely disrupt the balance. This is true. However with a small axolotl tank ("2 foot" tank or smaller), there's a lot to be said for regularly removing all of the water and replacing it with fresh dechlorinated water. Axolotls put out an incredible amount of nitrogenous waste and this has a very large impact on water quality in small tanks. Having a good nitrogen cycle established in an axolotl tank is somewhat of a contradiction in terms, unless the tank is large and/or has a fantastic filter.

I read Paul-Mark Root's comment with some bemusement. Such a generalisation could be seen as offensive. How's that for irony. The simple fact of the matter is that many of the people on this forum are young and many don't have the sensibilities that usually only come from experience. We have exceptional young people here too so please excuse my generalisation ;).

To everyone in the thread, and indeed on the forum, I say debate is healthy - if we all agreed then we would have a lot of dead newts and salamanders.

hi kellie, I think Crunchy is adorable
happy.gif
. i love his/her tail it is so beautiful. can i ask what his colouring is called? I like the name too
happy.gif
, did you name him after the chocolate bar?

Plants would make a nice addition to the tank as axie love climbing them and sleeping in them. It also makes them feel a little safer too
happy.gif

Axolotls don't sleep. They don't have eyelids. They may rest but they don't go into an unconciouse state, like a sleeping human or dog.

I do agree that plants would make a nice addition.

CRUNCHY IS SSSSSOOOOOO CUTE!!! did he die??
sad.gif
If he did I AM SO SORRY FOR MENTIONING HIM!!!!!

How is Crunchy, Kellie? I've been following his story and I hope he's made it, I really do.

Lorie - your axie looks very sweet, angelic even. Do we have pics of him/her here? Would love to see them!
happy.gif

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back