Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: 2 new axies, only 1 leg, 6 stubs

cdazley

Reaction score
Hi there, did research, found a nice guy who raises axies & purchased 2. Arrived today & the 6" female has 1 skinny leg & 3 stubs, short gills on both sides. The 4-5" male only has 3 tiny stubs & 1 barely visible stub, decent gills on one side & small gills on the other. Seem healthy but can not get around very easily on smooth flat river rocks & the slate on the bottom. It was about 8 years ago when I last had one (lwho lived 7/8 yrs) & I'm really thinking I need to change the bottom to sand just to make it easier for them....I feel so bad for them :(

Velaria

Reaction score
Poor things! Can you tell us who you bought them from?

inkozana

Reaction score
Velaria, I don't think that's a good idea.
It is hard to stop cannabalism in baby axolotls. Changing the substrate to sand is a good move, it's softer on their feet and tummy, doesn't matter if it's swallowed and is good for treasure hunting ;)
Good luck with your 'lotls, their legs should grow back in time.

cdazley

Reaction score
Thank you for the words of encouragement....Am going to switch to sand today. Glad it's Sunday, I'm sure this will take a little while.... :D

cdazley

Reaction score
Also, my fridge only goes up to 46 degrees Fahrenheit....Is that too cold for them to hang out in while I am working? That was one option, the other option is to put them in a small tank while I am working & put a small frozen bottle of water in there if the temp starts to rise....I just assume it will take the sand a little time to settle & I did not want to put them back in there until the sand settles...any suggestions?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
46F is fine. Just make sure you float them in the tank to bring them back to regular temperature before you just dump them in.

With sand, the key is to rinse rinse rinse, and rinse some more. Then, rinse it again. I use small buckets and put them under the faucet in the tub. Stir it around lots. Then put it in the tank. It will be much less messy this way.

cdazley

Reaction score
They are going in the fridge now, do I seal the cover on the containers or do I just lay them on loose? I am using corning ware glass casserole dishes that has a plastic tops that seal...

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would put the tops on loosely. Maybe tape them down? You don't want your axolotl to accidentally be able to jump out, but you don't need the lid on very tightly.

cdazley

Reaction score
Thanks again...also, ended up with pool filter sand...read that was a good type here....grade 20 sand for swimming pool filters...I am hoping it will be a real treat for them :cool: my poor littlle legless babies....sand sound ok?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I use. I think it looks a little more natural than play sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!