Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Birthday frog?

skelly98

Reaction score
So, it's my birthday tomorrow, and i've decided to get a frog for my spare ten gallon tank, and i'm trying to decide between a pacman frog and a pixie frog. I am able to provide daily care, and a good habitat for their needs, and i've got a lot of extra equipment (heating, hides, substrate, etc), so providing for it will not be a problem.

Basically what i'm asking is, could someone highlight differences and personal experiences with these frogs to help me decide? both are avaliable, and both are very interesting to me. I'm thirteen years old, (turning fourteen tomorrow!) and i have been in complete control of and been caring for all of my pets since i was about nine years old, and i have only had a single death, a rescue that a vet had put down.

So yeah, any thoughts?

ahritchie

Reaction score
Pacman frog for sure....Pixie frogs (African bullfrogs) just get too big for a 10 gallon tank; 10 inches and over 4 lbs potentially! :eek: My sister had one when I was a kid she kept in a 10 gallon tank and it would jump up and almost knock the hood off the tank when you tried to feed it a superworm or pinky with tongs. A vicious and messy frog being so large. We gave it away to a pet store eventually because of it's need for a bigger tank and how ravenous and messy it was. You would need a 20 gallon long tank or better to properly house a pixie frog.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!