Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found 4 baby salamanders!! any tips/help?

k8rs

Reaction score
I’m currently in west canada and about a week ago found 4 juvenile salamanders ( or axolotl?? idk the difference) which i am now wanting to keep as pets. i did a LOT of research and my best guess is that they are either long told salamanders or tiger salamanders, they seem to be doing pretty good so far except I’m having trouble finding something that they would eat. so far I’ve tried meal worms and earthworms but I think the problem is that they are too big, but they won’t eat them even when they are cut up. I think I’m going to try going to a bait shop to get something better. :D:confused:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
THey may not eat in front of you because salamanders are shy and secretive. Cut them up and leave them on a paper towel, and leave them overnight.

Can you post pics? Then we can see what you got. Do you intend to keep them or let them go?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!