Full water change

Eiona68

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a new axie owner. Once a week I am doing a 20-25% water change. Should I do a full water change and if so, how often should I do it?

Have you cycled your tank? It depends on your setup and water quality. I siphon and net up up poop and dirt daily with a turkey baster and small fish net, and test my water once a week. If tank levels all test fine, I just do a 10-25% water change once a week or so to replace water that’s evaporated or removed in siphoning.

To test water levels I use an API fresh water test for PH, nitrites and nitrates and a Seachem ammonia test to check the free ammonia levels. (The API test only test for total ammonia.) Hope this helps, and welcome to the wild world of axolotls!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back