Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl red and peeling

Justanotheraxie

Reaction score
Hello! I am a welder from the USA I have 1 Lucy type axalotl, a water dog and 4 California striped salamanders. They were previously all in the same 75 gallon tank, and there were no issues for 2 months but then one day the Lucy started to float her back end but I resolved that as just an air bubble but she alsostarted peeling and becoming red and her tail started to curl. I noticed that the tank spiked up to around 75 so I immediately took her out and began to read about to how to help her and I have given her 1 salt bath so far and do 100% water changes in the tub of dechlorinated water she currently is in daily and the temperature is at 60-65f. She also isn’t eating, normally I drop some blood worms in and as soon as she finds them she gobbles them up. I’m very worried about her so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

livvilou6

Reaction score
I am new to axolotls as mine is only 3 months old, but here is my advice. Was the spike you mentioned ammonia or nitrite? I thought redness and peeling was a result of ammonia burn, I would try to preform a tea bath to soothe the skin, I would not do a salt bath unless there is a fungal or bacterial infection as it can further irritate the skin. Salt baths can be really tough on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!