Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from an old newt lover.

Tompa

Reaction score
I,m in NE England and first began keeping native newts and amphibians nearly 60 years ago. I also like reptiles and have one or two. My current collection is 6x Kaiser newts, 6x aquatic Chinese Firebellies + 1 terrestrial CFB, 1x huge Tiger salamander, 3x Montadons newts, I Fire salamander, 2x Marbled newts, 3x Japanese Firebellies, 1 Crocodile newt, 1 Paddletail newt, 4x Alpine newts. I also have a pond full of fish, 4x Firebellied toads, Slow worms, a Bearded dragon, a Giant madagascan day gecko and a Lurcher dog.
As you can guess a lot of my spare time is spent digging worms and cleaning vivs.
Happy newting, Jim.

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)

MnGuy

Reaction score
Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.

Tompa

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm curious, do you keep your terrestial CFN in a separate, terrestial tank or is it staying on a cork bar in the aquatic tank? How long has it chosen to be terrestial?
Greetings from Finland :)

The terrestrial newt came with several others but seemed to dislike water from day one and would not leave the haul out even for food. I decided to try gently lowering it into the water but each time it would thrash around on the surface until it bumped into the haul out and climbed on. I have had it a few years and recently tried it with the aquatics again but as usual it would not swim. It lives on its own in a damp viv with a small soak dish but no swimming water. It eats small gut loaded crickets and small earthworms and hunts accurately like a lizard. It has developed a drier wartier skin over time and a more solid head/jaw. Long winded reply but I think that sums him up.
This newt told me what it needed by its behaviour so I tried to provide that. I,ve always tried to work that way with my amphibians/reptiles.
Cheers, Jim.

Tompa

Reaction score
Welcome. I'd love to keep more newts but truth be told, I don't love doing water changes on multiple tanks. Two-three tanks seem to be my limit, and I already have two -- one newt tank and one 10 gallon betta tank.

Can I recommend Exo Terra vivs for some newts. They are perfect for terrestrials and a lot of the aquatics don,t need a large depth of water. I have several in different sizes and only 3 aquariums. I don,t do partials on the vivs, I strip, clean and reset them regularly. They are light to handle and have good access with the front doors and lift off lids.
Cheers, Jim.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1