Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ID Please

NightWolf

Reaction score
Well, a couple of weeks ago I caught some tadpoles, two of which had small back legs. Now, they have grown, and their front legs have formed, although, they are still about one month away from being froglets. They have gold eyes, a dark brown stripe that runs down each of their sides, and a small dark triangle located inbetween their eyes. Their skin colour is a light brown/gold. If anyone could follow the link to my album, so that they may see the pictures of these neat little frogs, I would love it if they could idetify the species for me. They were found in BC, Canada.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/nightwolf-albums-my-frogs-tadpoles.html

NightWolf

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply :D, but I'm almost positive it is not a Pacific Tree Frog, due to the difference in the markings along the back. Sorry for the poor quality in their photos, they are rather active and jumpy so it was hard to get some good shots :rolleyes:

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have first hand experience with Pacific treefrogs in all phases of life. I'd bet my life savings those are exactly what they are.

NightWolf

Reaction score
Well, then I guess you get to keep your life savings ;) I just did a check up on them 5 minutes ago and was shocked to find that one of the them had absorbed all of his tail in one night! His sibling still retains his tale, so I'm not sure if this is normal, or a fluke. I was also shocked to find that the one that had absorbed his tail in a night, had also developed the rest of his markings, and it seems that you two were right :D They are indeed, Pacific Tree Frogs. Thank you for identifying them! I will put up some pictures that I just took of the two, one without a tail, and one who still hasn't quite absorbed it yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!