Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How long does it take with Vodka??? Help FBN

PowerNewt

Reaction score
The Woods in Southern Quebec, near Vermont
Hi, I have kept Newts very well for over 9 years... so I know what I'm doing in most all areas. I've never had to *end* one before now.
How long does it take for the vodka method to make a Newt not awake?
I have a FBN female that's pretty big and she's got bloat severely. She's not going to get better. I had only one before do this and she got so terrible that I wish I had known about the vodka thing. It was just terrible. Her sides were so puffed up that her spine was .5cm lower than the back sides/surface... she couldn't even close her mouth at the end and was floundering... This one is going the same way and if I'm not a complete Bast**d I have to do something.
I don't want her to suffer like the last one. I've mercy killed one of everything I think... but it's really hard to do the newt. :(
I know it's not eggs or anything like that, her under-chin is puffed up severely... :(
grrrrr.
Anyway, does anyone know about how long it should take to make her stop moving and be dazed/out of it etc?
Thanks.

Ps. I think this stems from a time they were left with other people I thought would take proper care of them, and they didn't get fed for 8mo. :eek: I never give my creatures to anyone, ever... these people seemed right, wanted newts, worked with reptiles, and at pet stores... and should have done it well... I gave the tank/food, everything... 15 went... 6 are left. I was so upset that I bawled and puked for a month. I'll never let anything like that happen again. (so I got them back...)
that was over a year ago, but in 9 years it's the only 2 times the bloat thing happened... so I'm sure it's from kidney damage from the starving. I feed them every day... they're all nice, chubby/plump...

PowerNewt

Reaction score
That's where I got the vodka info. from... but it doesn't say how long or what to really expect... arg!!!
I know someone else here did it, I was reading before but can't seem to find it again...
I hate this part of creature keeping.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used benzocaine and it took about 2 minutes, but felt like an hour. With the alcohol, I would anesthetize for about 2 minutes, and follow up with a 5 minute bath in a stronger solution.

You're right: it's the worst part about keeping animals.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only used the vodka method for small larvae. They are immobile within 2 minutes, and then I put in a stronger amount of the alcohol. For a larger animal, it could take longer, I don't know.

PowerNewt

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it's nicer to have a few people out there that I can ask these things. I don't know any amphibian people or even have anyone I know around here... (2hrs. away!)
It gets kinda upsetting to have to figure this by myself... Thanks... :)

Dog Shrink

Reaction score
You're not "by yourself" you have the support and understanding of everyone here on the forum I'm sure.

Sorry I can't answer your question but sending good vibes your way for a fast healing (of your emotions that is). So sorry you're in this pickle. I know it's never easy to have to euth one of your pets. I raise show rabbits and have to cull often, so I know how you feel. Fortunately enough tho I have a friend with a nice big snake that is usually willing to take any culls I have. I know this prob. doesn't help but just wanted to let you know you're def. not alone in this situation.

PowerNewt

Reaction score
Thanks...
We just had to do the dog too, in Dec. before Christmas... that was really not pleasant.
She was 7 and we only knew she was sick for 10 days before we had to do it... arg. 81lb. dog...
I've always been tough about it, fish, Lovebird, Cat, I had to be the tough one with the dog, so I guess I'm weaker than usual with the newts. But yes, thanks a bunch for being nice and trying to help... and for beign a Newt Network... hahaa Newt Network Number 9 is my wi-fi router network name... our world is all about Newt here it seems... :p

PowerNewt

Reaction score
Ok, well I started this at 12:16pm and now it's 12:37pm...
I'm going to scream then throw up.
She won't pass out.
I'm out of Vodka. I had 50ml. and thought it would be enough, I always usually do everything in *over-kill* fashion... but I'm screwed right now.
I have almost 50ml. of Gin here... is that the same alc??
grrrrrr!!!!!!!!
She was dazed at 2min. then I poked the container and was going to add more in... well don't poke the damned container... lesson number two... (after having a gallon of Vodka)
I added more, it made her move more...
This is in 1/2C. tank water, in a container, with her back sticking out so she doesn't have to fight to breathe... that would make her more lucid I think... if she was fighting for the surface.
ok ok...
So I added more and she started acting like it was hurting her eyes, blinking over and over, so I poured tiny bits of water on them and that seemed to help...
then I added a tad more alc...
she's obviously not *right* she's screwed up... but sakes...
then I bawled and ran off to the computer.
I'm going to check on her again. I'm trying not to disturb her much... I so hate this.
She's a lot more puffed today and hasn't probably eaten in nearly 2wks. so I know I have to do it... I'm just going a bit nuts. Trying to breathe... I'm emotionally defective lately to start with!
Going to check now...
I think had I not poked the dish that she would have been *out* enough to not have her eyes bothering her...

zoezakella

Reaction score
so sorry to hear your sad news cant imagine what your going through, nothing worse than having to euthanise a pet I absolutely hate it but its the kindest thing to do sometimes I know!

Afraid I am no help to your problem whatsoever as have never had to euthanise an amphibian just wanted to say thoughts are with you and I hope she goes soon for both of you, best wishes :(

PowerNewt

Reaction score
Thanks.
She's still moving now even...
I put the last in and she started slapping her tail.. I thought she;d be weaker, but my Newties are always hellish tough...
I guess if she goes more *out of it* I'm adding my little 50ml. of Gin.
My fellow is being really nice about it, he loves the Newts too... he's at work... called to distract me with talk about a Mustang we might get.. :p '89... Newts and Mustangs...
I'm sure this will have to be over soon.
I won't be sad as soon as she's done suffering!! I'm good that way...
I'll post what the outcome is later. Hopefully just finished soon.

zoezakella

Reaction score
one very tough newt thats for sure :( glad your boyfriend is understanding at least that helps, its always my husband that has to euthanise our pets (only fish so far) its so horrible I hate making the decision but you know its right sometimes!

All the best to you x

PowerNewt

Reaction score
I like how goldfish can go in the freezer, but I've never used clove oil... that's supposed to be the right thing... I used to take the tropicals in a newt and snap them on the door frame... it's really fast. I've just lost the guts for it now though...
Makes me not want to ever be attached to another creature!! Power Newt is 9 and he's just my best little pal, Random and Stella are 7... the 3 males... and there are 6 females in the other tank...

Dog Shrink

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear that this isn't going as you had planned. It sounds like a miserable time to go thru. So so sorry you're going thru this. *hugs* sending good vibes your way.

**Edited to remove mis-information**

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Using carbon dioxide is not an acceptable form of euthanasia for amphibians.

I hope your ordeal is over now.

PowerNewt

Reaction score
I think it's because of the slow metabolism and the ability to function for long bits of time under "severe oxygen debt"

It seems to have been over at around 3pm.
At least it's done. She's wrapped in cotton and in the freezer until I can take her "home" to bury by my tiny pond in the spring.
Sigh... lots of other stressing things now make this seem more crappy! :p but anyway. it's done and hopefully I'll never have to do anything like that again!! EVER!!
The fellow is being extra super nice at least.
Thanks for the help and words everyone. If anyone ever needs tadpole raising advise or tank setups, I'm your Tadpole... (they do call me tadpole...) :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1