Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bloat, or pregnant?

kotusz

Reaction score
Hello newtlovers !

Something is wrong with one of my cfb newt. It has swollen cloaca and body, i dont know it has bloat, or its just pregnant. It is shedding his skin now as well, and i noticed a strange greenish thing coming out of his nose.
I made some pictures with my phone, poor quality, but pls help me, whats happening to my litte sweetheart.

Thanks!

Attachments

• newt.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 166

kotusz

Reaction score
Sure I can !

Now as it is developing im starting to think it is really bloat. Can i save him somehow? Maybe cool him down?

Attachments

• Fénykép0127.jpg
    Fénykép0127.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Fénykép0126.jpg
    Fénykép0126.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Fénykép0121.jpg
    Fénykép0121.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 447

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The body doesn't look too bad, but the cloaca is very enlarged. Could it be an intestinal blockage? Is he still eating? I have no idea what the cause is, so no idea what sort of treatment might help.

kotusz

Reaction score
I offered him frozen bloodworms today, but he didnt eat at all. It has a slight chance that he have eaten a small pebble maybe or a small snail:eek::eek: He has some white thing coming out from his cloaca sometimes:eek: He looks more swollen day by day:(

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He may have eaten some of the gravel from the substrate. Is there any way you can restrain the newt and see if the white thing in the cloaca is a stuck pebble? If it is, you may be able to remove it with forceps.

What temperature are they kept at?

Is there a vet you can take the newt to?

Best of luck

C

kotusz

Reaction score
I have tried to check his lower body if i can sense someting hard like a piece of gravel, but i couldnt sense anything :(
THe water temperature is always between 20-22 celsius, i cant make it any lower.

Unfortunately there are no vets here who can deal with newts :(

It seems now he is very depressed, he is floating on the surface most of the time, doesnt eat, doesnt do anything at all :(

I guess i can only wait and see if he survives or not:(

callina

Reaction score
I don´t think that this is impaction, but a bad infection. The bloated belly and the greenish stuff from his nose makes me think so.
I would suggest to put him in the fridge and look for a vet ASAP.

kotusz

Reaction score
I think his guts has ruptured during the night. A big excrement, filled with white fluid was seen on the side of his body, and his mouth was filled with something white stuff as well. So i decided to euthanise him today:( to end his suffering. He is resting in peace now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1