Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Beautiful Moss Wall Aquarium Backdrop! DIY

totallyrad

Reaction score

Attachments

• mosswall.jpg
    mosswall.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 8,441

laalflaach

Reaction score
That sounds great, I have been wanting to create one myself for a while, but was a little put off by the posts that said it can take up to a year to have a thick covering, but whilst looking at the link you put up, it suggests christmas moss as a faster alternative, so I think that I may go for that instead. I have unsightly staining on the back of my tank, probably from it having a picture glued to the back but it has left white marks all over, so this is the answer, thanks for reminding me!!

totallyrad

Reaction score
no problem :) when I saw this it just looked like something most people would love to do for their axies.
or for any pet for that matter. I can't wait to do mine :-D post pictures if/when you end up doing it!

memojo1979

Reaction score
Yeah, I think most of us here want to do moss walls ;)
The cheapest I've found for just the moss for just 1 of my 4ft tanks is about £40 though. Add in the mesh + it gets rather expensive, so gotta keep with the saving ;)

If anyone knows of cheap but good quality moss, in the UK (that will post, or be vey close to me, since I don't drive!), let me know! Alternatively, has anyone bought any from Malaysia? It's advertised on eBay, but I'm not sure how well it will transport, or if we're even allowed to import it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1