Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Weird Specks on Axie's Tail/Body

alweare

Reaction score
Got a baby axolotl on the 28th of last month, and I've been noticing some strange white/clear speckled patterns on its tail mostly, but some are showing up on its sides and head. I thought it might have just been something that happens as it gets bigger and grows limbs but it definitely looks too abnormal now. There is a slight greenish tinge on the tail and the feet as well. Could it be a fungal/bacterial infection or ich?

I just removed a cave from the tank that had been building up some slime since I bought it -- cleaned it off several times but it kept coming back. I asked around pet stores and looked online to see if anyone knew of the problem but the only thing they could come up with was either bacteria or algae -- except the slime on the cave was clear/white and not greenish like I've seen described.

The only tankmates I have are a sea snail for cleaning (it or a live plant I put in the tank spawned several more snails), and 4 ghost shrimp. I don't think the shrimp could have caused the axie's problem because I've seen the symptoms before I bought them. I have black Supernaturals Carib Sea sand for substrate -- which the axolotl has no problem digesting if it does consume any.

There are some specks on the inside of the aquarium glass as well, which I mistook for water smudges on the outside.

I've posted some photos to help identify the problem. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_5016 2.jpg
    IMG_5016 2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_5018 2.jpg
    IMG_5018 2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 2,142
  • IMG_5021 2.jpg
    IMG_5021 2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 3,674
  • IMG_5038 2.jpg
    IMG_5038 2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_5039 2.jpg
    IMG_5039 2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1,994

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Your axolotl is a very pretty little albino, and looks completely normal. The speckles are called iridophores. :D

alweare

Reaction score
Your axolotl is a very pretty little albino, and looks completely normal. The speckles are called iridophores. :D

Thank you for your reply! I did notice the same pattern in some adult albinos, maybe because mine is so young and transparent it stands out more? What about the green tinge on the tail/feet? Is that normal or is it a sign of too much algae?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!