Tiger Salamander Temporary Home

axyl97

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I had posted yesterday, I recently took in a young Tiger Salamander from a friend who was unable to care for him anymore. I am COMPLETELY new to owning any type of amphibious pet. After making sure he was, in fact, a Tiger Salamander I was advised to remove him from his aquarium and put him in a proper tank with substrate. I will be getting a larger tank in the near future but for now he's in a tank with the same width and length of a 10 gallon (it's length is about 3/4 of that of a ten gallon). Is this an okay size? I also added some "Tropical Soil" made from coconut fibers as directed by many Tiger Salamander websites. I put him in his new home with a shallow bowl of water to submerge himself in and watched for a couple minutes to ensure his new home would work for him. I noticed his skin started drying (the coconut fiber is moist) and he immediately dove back into the water. What can I do to help him adjust to his substrate? By the way, this is just a temporary setup until I can get him a proper hide, water bowl, and a larger tank.

I apologize for the second picture, I realize it probably isn't too helpful. I'm just extremely worried that I'm going to mess up and hurt him.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 357
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 329
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 283
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back