Axolotl full of sand

jason3xs

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi. So i added sand to my aquarium and my axolotl ate alot of it. His belly is pretty much full.
I read that it could take up to 2 weeks for him to let it out. He's still eating (not much because there isn't too much space left in there) And it seems his face is getting a litle red. I think making him vomit would be good but i have no idea how i could do that.
Can anyone help please ??

You might have to wait for him to pass it. Fridging is an option but keep in mind it's stressful and needs to be done for a few days not just one day. Water changes need to be done everyday (make sure water temp is the same!).

For now I would wait and see what happens. Why did he eat a lot of sand? Was he being weird or did you leave food on the floor? If you left food on the floor you'll have to hand feed or use a feeding jar/ bowl

Have you removed the sand from the tank? Hayley's advise is good, I'd wait and see if he passes it himself.

I actually did not feed him at all. I just added sand because i was told it was safe... but I guess he's just not used to it and he ate it thinking it was food. I didn't see him do it but i'm 100% that's what happened

Okay, so where is your axxie now? If his belly still looks full of sand (please also be aware if he is a leucistic, albino or golden albino their stomach is often visible through their skin - please make sure it's genuinely sand and not from a feed. I know you said you haven't fed him but he must have eaten at some previous time).

How big is he? What are you planning to feed and how often? Is there a photo we can look at?

Sorry for the interrogation, but this is the best way to give informed answers on your axolotl now.

PS Please don't make him vomit in any way or form. The only animal I have ever seen a suggestion to induce vomiting in is dogs, and this is only if they've swallowed something poisonous (there may be others, but for humans and axolotls, inducing vomiting is a no-no). Axolotls generally get rid of unnecessary things through their digestive tracts by pooping. If they really struggle a fridge will prevent them from digesting it fully but we need to be sure he needs it first. Fridging is stressful and only recommended if the axolotl would benefit more from the colder temps than from being left in their current environment.

Like i said i'm 100% sure it's sand cause I didn't feed him and when i woke up the next morning he was full! He was due for feeding. I put him in a transparent bucket. He eats bloodworms and he likes it. He's about 8-9 months old. I Usually let the water be at the room temp, he never had a problem with anything really... but now i put a frozen water bottle to cool it down a little bit. I personally don't think fridging would help... maybe i'm wrong lol. Thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back