Mr. Water Wings

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just noticed this odd appearance on my juvi dwarf albino today, it looks like it is wearing water wings! Has anyone ever seen it before? Is it something to worry about? He/she is 11 weeks old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 463
Those seem to be his/her legs :)

I could be wrong but that's what it looks as though it is.

I think OP is talking about the front arms being thick, so it looks like it's wearing child floatation devices, not the legs. It does sort of look like that. The arms look swollen, although I have never seen very young axolotls, I don't know, is that healthy?

What is a "dwarf" axolotl? I didn't know there was a dwarfism gene in axolotls. Are there pictures of adult dwarfs? Do they have full lifespans or any known health issues?

I had actually wondered because the albinos can appear quite transparent when young if it just looks like this because much of it is still see thru? You can even see the bone inside the floatation device lol. It seems healthy otherwise, it looks husky, has a big head but short and fat.

Yes, I have one adult dwarf "Howie" he is a joy to have, dwarf axolotls aren't very common but I've somehow wound up with three. They have a lifespan of around 10 years and the only real issue Howie seems to have is constipation at times.

Howie is my avatar, this is also a pic of him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,505
It appears to be some fluid retention, possibly due to a genetic defect, which also is developing in other areas such as the torso and base of the head. I believe the success rate is often very low and euthanasia might need to be considered.

Here is an article on the subject: Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Hummmmm, I haven't noticed any bloat in any other area of the body, it all looks pretty solid, is there anything I can do to help the chances of survival and decrease the water retention?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back