Successful Tiger Salamander Breeding in the UK

LeeUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey! I'm new so be nice :happy:

I've managed to breed my Blotched Tiger Salamanders! So far I've found 6 larvae, but they keep popping up and I can't seem to stop finding them in the little pond section of my Tiger's terrarium. I keep my 1.1 pair in a pretty natural terrarium, with a pretty deep water section. The water level never stays constant, and I think because I would let the water level get pretty low, then fill it back up to 2-3 inches deep, this stimulated breeding. This is all speculation of course.

I'm only 18 and have little to no experience actually raising salamanders from larvae, so any and all advice is welcome! So far I've got the larvae in a small container, in 1inch of water, feeding them live daphnia and mosquito larvae. Hopefully this is ok haha!

According to a few people I've spoke to, I'm one of the first to breed these in England... Does anyone know if this is true? Sounds like a huge statement to make to me haha! :bowl:

The Parents

55d1d8d4fffd04b0b66bf8243f7ff0c0.png

The Tank

89ff379862245e9b322eb567f114bb92.png

The Larvae

9f07d3d120e256295038fbb3b138ab4c.png

And this just made me laugh

bb88bf0362456be09662d2d1ded6a0de.png

First welcome but also Well done.Its not that common do please tell us how you went about it?

We'll done and welcome to the hobby. As far as I'm aware you are the first person in the uk to breed them so well done . Can you please post more pictures of your setup and next time you breed them write a blog
Great news

Hello,

Nice tigers !

But, are you sure this larvae are tigrinum's ?
Have you saw the eggs ?
When I see the picture I feel they're not tigrinum larvae... Ambystoma tigrinum larvae have a larger head, and the hind legs don't come so early ;
Mine breed in march, and larvae didn't look like this. Unfortunately I have no pics for comparison.

In all cases, daphnia and mosquito larvae are good food for caudates larvae.

Hello,

Nice tigers !

But, are you sure this larvae are tigrinum's ?
Have you saw the eggs ?
When I see the picture I feel they're not tigrinum larvae... Ambystoma tigrinum larvae have a larger head, and the hind legs don't come so early ;
Mine breed in march, and larvae didn't look like this. Unfortunately I have no pics for comparison.

In all cases, daphnia and mosquito larvae are good food for caudates larvae.

I don't know how they could be anything else, I don't currently keep any other caudates at all... I did take some moss from outside but it wasn't near water at all when I collected it.

You've put doubt in my mind now, if it turns out these aren't tigrinum's i'll be so mad :mad:

looks like you tiger salamander are Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum to me, the blotched as you wrote...

I will check about the melanostictum larvae but it doesn't look like A.tigrinum or A mavortium mavortium

could you take better photos ? of the adults, the larvae...

thanks

I can be wrong ;) See what other members think about this.

But, when you see the pictures on this post, it's not the same morphology ; before the hind legs appears, the head become very large. And it's not the case with your larvae, that's why I'm doubting.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f30-species-genus-family-discussions/f44-tiger-salamander-axolotl-ambystoma-tigrinum-mavortium-spp-etc/75003-ambystoma-tigrinum-successful-breeding-3.html

But if you have no aquatic plants and no water from outside, I don't know how it can be anything else than tigrinum...

Congrats! Always nice to see more caudates being captive bred.

Waiting for a few more weeks to make sure they are actually Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum larvae before bothering you all, but then I'll get some good pics up.

Hi,

these are A. m. diaboli for sure, nothing else.

Regards,
Mario

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back