Sexing tiger salamanders

spendday

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
J
Hey all,

I have 2 tiger salamanders I think I have one male one female (as one seems to have a more swollen cloaca at this time of year) but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of a male and a female cloaca as I'm not 100% sure on my "female".

many thanks

J

It´s very much the same as with axolotls, males are very obvious, and females have small cloacae.

It´s very much the same as with axolotls, males are very obvious, and females have small cloacae.

Thanks. Thought the males cloacae's only swelled during breeding season (and not always at that) its a purely academic in any case I'm just curious.

While it´s true that male´s cloacae become substantially enlarged during the breeding season, they are generally very distinctive year-round.

thanks I must have a male and a female

many thanks

In addition, I've noted that female tigers swell up with eggs in the spring. My two females are HUGE! They look like they've eaten the entire contents of the worm-dish.

In addition, I've noted that female tigers swell up with eggs in the spring. My two females are HUGE! They look like they've eaten the entire contents of the worm-dish.
Hey Kaysie, would you mind sharing your experiences here - would be very instructive.

Would it be possible to post a pix?
How long does this condition last?
What is the temperment of the animals when they are in this state? Do they act normal, seek or avoid food? Active or lethargic?
Have you ever had an egg-bound female? If yes, how was it resolved?

My males don't go thru this :)

I looked at the pictures and still can't tell the sex of mine.

Attachments

• 20160711_172337.jpg
    20160711_172337.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,362
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back